Mt. Shasta, Clear Creek Route, Exhaust Duct on top

max delta h

I summited Shasta via Clear Creek route on Wed, Aug 13. Only one other person was on that route - a very tan blonde female. Only one other person from one other route had signed the summit register that day by about 2:30 when I left.

The Clear Creek route was all scree which was no surprise. The only snow was on the summit plateau and it was ice. I walked around that. As I went around it I noticed what looked like an old piece of approximately 24 inch diameter exhaust duct about 12 feet long. That's roughly what I remember about it - didn't take any actual measurements.

Does anyone know why that thing is up there? Was there a mine or something?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I went around it I noticed what looked like an old piece of approximately 24 inch diameter exhaust duct about 12 feet long. That's roughly what I remember about it - didn't take any actual measurements.

Does anyone know why that thing is up there? Was there a mine or something?

Thanks for the report. That's the remains of the Geodetic Survey monument, which was erected on the summit in 1875 and collapsed in 1903. Lots of good info in the book Mt. Shasta: History, Legend & Lore by Michael Zanger, see p34 and pp48-51. I've only been to the summit with skis, so the tube had never melted out enough to see it any of those times. Maybe I'll go hike up the Clear Creek scree later this summer or fall.

More info and old photos: The Geodetic Monument, 1875-1903

horse.jpg

Random TR from Sept 2003 with photo of tube: http://home.comcast.net/~tbreit/shasta.htm

shasta5.jpg