Strange GriGri Questions

Jens

I will be working on a very steep slope very soon doing some landscaping work for my buddy and wish to use my grigri on a fixed line as a method to self belay myself as I work. I also want to use the grigri to rappel down the slope. I will be using static line as my fixed rope.

*Can I use a grigri on static line?

*The grigris are made for 10mm-11mm ropes (although many of us use them down to 9.7mm) What would be the static line eqivalents?

*What are the most commonly sold widths of static line at gear shops? How will I know if they work (width-wise) with the gri-gri?

*Does anyone do any rigging or the like for a living and have any advice for me? Are their any better devices for such a task? How would you rig up a rope system for working on a steep slope?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you can use it on static line.

Be careful of soft falls with the Grigri - soft falls don't always activate the camming. Always tie a backup knot just in case.

You can buy many diameters of static line. I think the popular black Sterling static we used to sell was 11/16" thick and 200m long... or you could buy it by the foot.

Cavers or arborists would be better suited to answer these questions, I suppose.

Having done work in situations similar to what you propose, I will only advise that you most definitely should back up your grigri with a prussik, if not 2. I caught the lever on a fold of clothing while working...

I never saw a problem with the way the grigri handles 10mm static rope.

I just finished pressure washing my 60 degree roof.

Used an ascender, with a prusik underneath it.

That way, is was easy to ascend and, to go down, I had a back up while releasing the ascender to lower it.

Worked great.

Always had a slackless device ready to catch a slip.

Hope this helps.

Second the vote on an arborist being a little better suited. I would go to Wesspur for my rope you might even get a deal on a remnant. There are several sizes and charecters of Static line. I will dig out my catalog and give you some options from the industry side of things.

Definatley be aware of the "soft fall" issue that came up earlier. I Gri Gri will work fine for rapin in and stoping at the right place but set a prusick when you are not going to be moving as a sliding fall (like steep landscape work) may not activate the grigri.