Bad climbing partner stories

Braydon

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was it that wrote here about his trip up Rainier's DC and he ran into some old dude who wanted to "tag along" because the old dude's partners had abandoned him because he was too slow. The old guy's mantra was "slow and steady", that story was a riot! :laf:

Who was it that wrote here about his trip up Rainier's DC and he ran into some old dude who wanted to "tag along" because the old dude's partners had abandoned him because he was too slow. The old guy's mantra was "slow and steady", that story was a riot! :laf:

I was just thinking about that when I read the favorite trip reports. Bronco wrote it, several years ago.

TTT

"Where's Gary?" was the mantra of one trip to the Black Hills and Devil's Tower a number of years ago. My buddy, Ed, and I road tripped to SD and WY with Gary, a guy I'd met at the University of Nebraska who talked the talk. Gary was a decent climber, once you got him on the rock. But his out of control OCD compelled him to rack and re-rack about 4 times before the start of any given climb or subsequent pitch. On top of it, he was so spastic that we could rarely keep track of him on the descents. We'd often saunter into camp to find him reorganizing the car, his pack, or re-racking his gear again. Of all the road trips and partners since, Gary is one of those unforgettable characters. Ed on the other hand, has turned out to be a lifelong friend.

I picked up a guy from Chicago on this board for a trip into the Enchanments. We climber teh SB route on Prussik and a nice route on the Mole but I got tired of looking for him.

He did warn me on the phone that he is "slow". Glacial would have been more accurate.

In the grocery store after I picked him up, he took three hours to find his food. I told him to get instant foods as I didn't want to carry a bunch of cannisters. He got the kind you have to simmer for 20 minutes. I told him we had to be in Leavenworth at 7:45 to be in the lottery. I finally had to pick up his breakfast and put it in the car and threaten to leave without him. We made it right before they closed teh entry. He still gave me shit about being too stressed out. I showed him how to build a fire but had to help him every time. I waited for him at every turn in the trail and every bush and marmot but he still could not catch up. When racking to lead, he would pick up a piece, look at it for a few seconds, look up at the route, back at the piece, up at the route and soforth. He climbed well and was fast on lead but getting racked usually took 30-40 minutes. Then while I was taking a nap, he turned on the stove and went for a walk. When he came back he berated me for not turning off the stove when it was boiling. I lost it and barked at him for 10 minutes. He told me to calm down. Afterall we are on vacation. F you I said. Taking care of a momma's boy is no vacation for me.

Then he posted for partners here for a long route in Chile. I flamed him and told him he would die up there because he could not move fast enough.

Never heard from him again.

Sometimes I wonder if he is still alive.

I picked up a guy from Chicago on this board for a trip into the Enchanments. We climber teh SB route on Prussik and a nice route on the Mole but I got tired of looking for him.

He did warn me on the phone that he is "slow". Glacial would have been more accurate.

In the grocery store after I picked him up, he took three hours to find his food. I told him to get instant foods as I didn't want to carry a bunch of cannisters. He got the kind you have to simmer for 20 minutes. I told him we had to be in Leavenworth at 7:45 to be in the lottery. I finally had to pick up his breakfast and put it in the car and threaten to leave without him. We made it right before they closed teh entry. He still gave me shit about being too stressed out. I showed him how to build a fire but had to help him every time. I waited for him at every turn in the trail and every bush and marmot but he still could not catch up. When racking to lead, he would pick up a piece, look at it for a few seconds, look up at the route, back at the piece, up at the route and soforth. He climbed well and was fast on lead but getting racked usually took 30-40 minutes. Then while I was taking a nap, he turned on the stove and went for a walk. When he came back he berated me for not turning off the stove when it was boiling. I lost it and barked at him for 10 minutes. He told me to calm down. Afterall we are on vacation. F you I said. Taking care of a momma's boy is no vacation for me.

Then he posted for partners here for a long route in Chile. I flamed him and told him he would die up there because he could not move fast enough.

Never heard from him again.

Sometimes I wonder if he is still alive.

he probably hasn't gotten around to responding to your last message yet.