Re-Water Proffing Gortex

ASmith

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikwax Tx-Direct spray on.

Although I haven't tested it and it makes sense, the wash in does supposedly ruin the breathability.

No it doesn't ruin the breathability, that's the whole point of using that stuff rather than 3M scotchgard.

Tx-direct is good. I like Granger's stuff better--the stuff in the blue bottle, I think it lasts longer on the garment once you wash (or spray) it on than the Nikwax does.

My understanding is that wash-ins are best for 3 ply membranes. Anything with a wicking layer should be refreshed with a spray on. I would guess that spray on would be better for down as well.

Membranes won't breathe if the surface wets out so the DWR has to be working for breatheability.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work a lot with Grangers which is what many of the companies use for their warranty applications. In testing Nikwax scores a 1 or 2 out of 8 and Grangers scores a 7 or 8 out of 8. It's not even close.

As for the wash-in vs. spray-on debate, the DWR works against liquid, not vapor! Sweat is (mostly) vapor so there's no real ill effects from a DWR on the inside. The whole wicking or non-wicking thing really only comes into play if the laminate or coating is directly next to your skin which more often than not there's something between you and it.

The bottom line is regardless, the breathability isn't going to be enough and then you open the pit zips (which make the material less breathable) and then you open the front zipper (making the material even less breathable) at which point you realize you should just take it off since your wet from your own sweat anyways and now you have to replace that fluid.

Lets first set the record straight. ReviveX, Nikwax, etc... don't restore water proofness. What they do is restore the DWR, durable water repellent coating that is on the spell fabric, probably nylon, so the fabric doesn't get soaked. This being said the one of the best things you can do to restore the DWR coating, depending on the age of the garment, is to put it in the drier. The heat helps reactive and spread out the DWR. Another thing you can do is iron your garment using the nylon setting on your iron. Don't believe here is gore tex website. They will tell you the same thing I just did. http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/home

I just tried both,overall the Nikwax and on a scale of 1-10, I think it was a 2 or 3, really didn't work or improve much at all. Then I tried the Revivex and it is a 6 or 7. Have not tried the Grangers. I have to find a place to buy it.

Edited by ASmith