Fatal Fall on Dragontail

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rest in Peace Andie!

I heard the news last night. I've climbed with her and her husband. She was a great climber, PCT Board member, and great friend to all.

She will most certainly be missed.

Much love to Jeff, her husband, and her extended Mazama family.

That sucks. Best wishes to the family and her husband. That has to be tough for him loosing your partner in the mountains.

My wife and I did the route on Monday. It was the second time that I've done the route. The first time I thought the route was great. This past time I thought it was a wee bit too broken. Not as good as before. Lots of loose rock.

Edited by TimL

Terrible. When I was climbing yesterday there was helicopters going in and out all day.

I wonder though...fell several hundred feet, but had a partner and gear? Something doesn't quite add up.

I can only guess they were soloing on the lower part of the route considering I, and I'm sure plenty of others, have chosen to solo those lower pitches.

This is so terrible to hear. :(

-j

too bad :(

reckon it was on the lower part of the climb then?

Must have been, especially given the timing of the accident....

Hope her family and friends get through this. Must be rough.

Edited by rob

Just heard the news. Andy and Jeff are good friends and climb partners. This quite shocking news since they are both quite experienced, safe and accomplished. Heartfelt condolences to Jeff, family and friends. Andy will be missed by many people.

Heartfelt condolences to the her family and husband. Kyle Flick and I passed a female named Andy and her partner both from Portland last weekend low on Backbone Ridge. Could she be the same climber, since the story mentions she had climbed Dragontail a week earlier...

Damn.

I am sorry to the people who were a part of her life. Sounds like someone I would have enjoyed meeting.

Doesnt help anyone involved, but this is a pattern with the route.I dont know what it is. Is it just the volume of Traffic?

Tough to see this, but it is the 4th accident I have heard of on the climb. Having done it last weekend, I was looking at it from a danger perspective, and it just didnt seem that scary.

This is sad news. My condolances to all who knew her.

I took a fall a couple decades ago that should have been fatal.

It was not on a pitch that pushed my abilities.

I let my guard down, fell for no apparent reason, and got lucky.

I suspect that happens more than we hear about.

I also thought it sounded strange that she fell that far with partner and gear. This report explains that she lost her footing at the glacial moraine. So she fell on the approach. Thats different than what I first heard. Condolences to friends and family.

http://www.oregonlive.com/washingtoncounty/index.ssf/2008/08/cedar_mill_woman_dies_in_washi.html