Gearheads, attention...

RuMR

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got an 85 6.9L (F250)that I bought new.

Used oil when new, dealer replaced valve guide seals under warranty which helped.

Did pump and injectors at around 145K

Glow plugs are a pain in the butt to change. I replaced the super-duper hundred and something dollar sensor/timer giddyup some years ago with a momentary push button.

231K today & still rattling along just fine.

20MPG or close (in 2wd) to it then, now, and maybe forever. This made it a screamin deal to drive back when diesel was cheaper than regular.

4 gears were not really enough. Some pretty big RPM jumps between gears if you're heavy or uphill. I think newer models offered 5 or maybe 6 speed manuals.

All in all, while I hate to talk shit about a rig which has been getting me there and back for 23 years, I have to say that this has not been quite as good a truck as was my '79 gaspot.

Glow plugs are a pain in the butt to change. I replaced the super-duper hundred and something dollar sensor/timer giddyup some years ago with a momentary push button.

I needed, and had, the glow plugs replaced on my '96.

4 gears were not really enough. Some pretty big RPM jumps between gears if you're heavy or uphill. I think newer models offered 5 or maybe 6 speed manuals.

I had the five-speed, which worked well, for me.

I've driven a lot of F150s 250s and Super Duties for work. Fortunately this all happened when I was working for other companies. In general Ford products seemed to suffer from a number of problems. A friend had a F Super duty diesel rig. He did buy it used, but he had nothing but problems with the thing. I remember rescuing him a couple times and then hearing later about the repair bill.

That's just my experience, so take this as you will. I have talked to others who drive rigs for work and they don't like Ford's diesel products.

I general I wouldn't buy any make or model like this unless you have a need for work. I have a Chevy Duramax. It runs great, but I keep it parked most of the time.

I've got a 1984 F250 with the 6.9 liter diesel. I believe this is what MisterMo is talking about above, be aware that this is an International motor, not the Powerstroke motor that is in years you are probably asking about. It is the bomb though- can tow a car and still get 17 mpg. It's got a quarter of a million miles on it and still seems to be going strong.

If you want the real info it is here: fordtrucks.com. Beta overload.

Absolutely appalling to be passed by one of those smoke belchers when you're riding your bike. Cough, hack, sneeze. Second only to a '70's - 80's VW Jetta diesel or Toyota Landcruiser in amount of soot emissions.

are you getting tears in your latte?

I've driven a lot of F150s 250s and Super Duties for work. Fortunately this all happened when I was working for other companies. In general Ford products seemed to suffer from a number of problems. A friend had a F Super duty diesel rig. He did buy it used, but he had nothing but problems with the thing. I remember rescuing him a couple times and then hearing later about the repair bill.

That's just my experience, so take this as you will. I have talked to others who drive rigs for work and they don't like Ford's diesel products.

I general I wouldn't buy any make or model like this unless you have a need for work. I have a Chevy Duramax. It runs great, but I keep it parked most of the time.

feck is right, duramax is the shite, rides like a caddy pulls like a horse. glad i don't need to pull shite for work anymore with diesel prices.