New route on Illumination Rock?

Dan_Miller

From this morning's Seattle Times. Not really a TR until this gentleman is 'debriefed.'

GOVERNMENT CAMP, Ore. — Crews rescued a disoriented man from Mount Hood.

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office said 55-year-old Jeffrey Stanberry was carried off the mountain Wednesday afternoon and taken to a Gresham Hospital.

Detective Jim Strovink said Stanberry told rescuers he rode a bus from Portland to Mount Hood with the intention of climbing to Illumination Rock.

Stanberry wore light clothing and walking shoes. He had no food or water — only spiritual books in a backpack — when he was found at an elevation of 7,200 feet.

Stanberry, who lists a Salvation Army address, couldn't say how long he was on the mountain, but Strovink said he might have been there for two days or more.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was lost in the 60's, does that count?

Seriously, Mr. Stanberry probably is deserving more of compassion than ridicule, given that he does not appear to be some unprepared newbie climber. Naive, maybe, sure. Seeking spirituality, a connection with nature, etc., in some form on a mountain is probably not all that strange, it's just sad that people die from being naive. I'm just glad the guy was brought down safe.

I was lost in the 60's, does that count?

Seriously, Mr. Stanberry probably is deserving more of compassion than ridicule, given that he does not appear to be some unprepared newbie climber. Naive, maybe, sure. Seeking spirituality, a connection with nature, etc., in some form on a mountain is probably not all that strange, it's just sad that people die from being naive. I'm just glad the guy was brought down safe.

I was not trying to ridicule the man. He was apparently on some sort of spiritual quest, thats fine. But I still can't see how one gets lost at 7200' on the SS of hood in good weather. Maybe I am just very familiar with the area, so I see things differently.