Guns in the Wilderness

KaskadskyjKozak

My tale is similar to Bug's, except I think I was a little younger when I started hunting.

At 13 or 14, I was moving up along a slough late in the evening, while my dad pushed down a cut-line from the other side. Exactly where I expected a deer to come out, I saw movement, something coming out of the brush with the hesitant pause-step-pause of a deer coming into a clearing. Fully in my sights, it looked so much like a deer I was ready to shoot, however, I wasn't completely sure. With the deer's fore quarters fully in my sights, at about 150 yards, I said in a loud voice, "Hey there!"

The head came up alright, and it was my neighbor. Worst thing was, he was wearing a reddish orange jacket certified by fish and game, but it looked perfectly tan in the dusky light.

You can call me a dumbass kid if you like, but I have much better than average vision, grew up with a trap line, and had killed 3 deer alone in years previous to that fall.

I do not tell this tale to beg leniency for this kid now, in fact quite the opposite. That trigger should not get pulled until you are 100% sure. The kid should do time, hopefully a lot of it.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tale is similar to Bug's, except I think I was a little younger when I started hunting.

At 13 or 14, I was moving up along a slough late in the evening, while my dad pushed down a cut-line from the other side. Exactly where I expected a deer to come out, I saw movement, something coming out of the brush with the hesitant pause-step-pause of a deer coming into a clearing. Fully in my sights, it looked so much like a deer I was ready to shoot, however, I wasn't completely sure. With the deer's fore quarters fully in my sights, at about 150 yards, I said in a loud voice, "Hey there!"

The head came up alright, and it was my neighbor. Worst thing was, he was wearing a reddish orange jacket certified by fish and game, but it looked perfectly tan in the dusky light.

You can call me a dumbass kid if you like, but I have much better than average vision, grew up with a trap line, and had killed 3 deer alone in years previous to that fall.

I do not tell this tale to beg leniency for this kid now, in fact quite the opposite. That trigger should not get pulled until you are 100% sure. The kid should do time, hopefully a lot of it.

Thanks for the reminder of how Fed the world can be. This is a sad tale all the way around for the victim, her friends and family, this kid, and his family as well. Fortunately it is absurdly rare happening. For those focusing on this tragedy, be aware that 11 little children have fallen out of FUCKING WINDOWS THIS YEAR ALONE IN THIS STATE ALONE!!!!!!! Ya got anything to say about that? Of course not. Don't think that there is not some tragedy going to occur somewhere in the world that you can NOT stop with any amount of laws or government intervention.

Ain't so bubbas. Sad to say. Very sad, but as the Buddhists say: "Life IS Suffering."

My sympathies to all these folks who must be hurting beyond our conception.

Don't think that there is not some tragedy going to occur somewhere in the world that you can NOT stop with any amount of laws or government intervention.

Ain't so bubbas. Sad to say. Very sad, but as the Buddhists say: "Life IS Suffering."

Tragedy happens, true. Are you saying that justice should not?

Well this should put all you arm chair's to rest..

the kid is being charged with Manslaughter...

http://www.kirotv.com/news/17167837/detail.html

A 14-year old bear hunter will be charged with first-degree manslaughter for accidentally killing a woman on Sauk Mountain on August 2, reported KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.

The Concrete teen mistook 54-year-old Pamela Almli for a bear when she was hiking that day. Almli was shot in the head as she bent over to put a jacket into a backpack.

Well this should put all you arm chair's to rest..

the kid is being charged with Manslaughter...

http://www.kirotv.com/news/17167837/detail.html

A 14-year old bear hunter will be charged with first-degree manslaughter for accidentally killing a woman on Sauk Mountain on August 2, reported KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.

The Concrete teen mistook 54-year-old Pamela Almli for a bear when she was hiking that day. Almli was shot in the head as she bent over to put a jacket into a backpack.

Good. IMO, he probably gave his "target" as much thought and consideration as the last video game character he blew away.

I thought the same thing when I first heard of the "accident"...

From my experience, not that I hunt my self, is that the people who like to hunt bears and cougars are not hunting for food, but rather hunting to "kill" something"...

Sure there are some who actually eat bear meat, but they are a minority.

Just my observation from working with "da rednecks"...

• 11 months later...