Climbing with kids

David_Parker

Just wondering if anyone out there has a kid who wants to get on some real rock. I have a six year old son and thanks to a couple of very generous guys on this website, he now has real shoes. I was thinking of a weekend in L-worth or another place where you can camp and be close to some moderate top roping. I thought it would be better to hook up with another Dad and son/daughter so I could actually climb too! My son doesn't weigh enough to belay me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

I have three sons, ages 7, 9, and 13, who have all climbed since they could crawl. I live in Leavenworth - email me at ckhaire@crcwnet.com. With a few days notice, you could have climbing partners and a place to crash. This coming weekend is not good - have a workshop to teach at the Community College which will eat the entire weekend. But let's keep trying - weekdays are ok, too, if your work schedule allows...

If you want to get easy top ropes in the Icicle Canyon get there early! My little piece of advice. Went out there several weeks ago, finally got out there about 10 a.m. and it was crawling w/ climbers. Everybody and there dog is suddenly a guide and there were several "classes" going on, 20 people waiting on 1 or 2 routes, essentially tying it up for the whole day. Peshastin by contrast was nearly deserted. Enjoy.

Thanks! I will contact you all directly but know that I am glad you responded and my son (Jordan) will be fun! I do have a climbing wall in my garage and he is pretty darn good....but plastic is plastic and not what I want him to think rock climbing is all about. He hasn't learned to be selective about the holds so I think he will have his eyes opened when they are much more limited! This will be fun! DPP

If you can find some back issues ofthe Canadian Alpine Journal from the late 90's look for a neat article by a guy named Reinhard Berg on climbing with his two young kids. Started them off at 5 and 6 ish, just wearing running shoes or barefoot. They did routes on Yamnuka and bivied! and other fun stuff. In the new @001 CAJ, he has another article - his son is 11 now and his rope gun, leading him up the Grand Wall. Kind of inspiring.

• 5 months later...

My daughter is 12.5 and I'd like to find some other climbers who have daughters-with-altitude, 'cause pretty soon, if she doesn't have some good friends along, climbing with Dad is gonna be like, I mean, so totally BORE-ing that, like, I'm gonna be like totally out of a climbing partner 'cause Dad is such a Prodigious Git. She has a lot of outdoor experience, mostly climbing the kinds of peaks that have trails to former fire lookouts. We haven't done any rock outside of a couple trips to Stone Gardens, but she liked that. Nordic skiing is a favorite, she is used to alpine starts, and thinks hiking out by headlamp and getting home at midnight is normal. Want to try some snowshoeing this winter.

Face it: catching frogs and making mudpies at a lake can be more appealing than a summit, so we're up for that, too. Backpacking the Olympic beaches is possibly the best.

Also open to trading/sharing childrens' climb & route info, if you're looking for or know of some choice secret places accessible to smaller critters.

wolffie@u.washington.edutakawolffie@msn.com