Food

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my experience, bagels squash so well they can kinda squeeze nicely between things in your pack. Put them in a bag so you don't lose the crumbs.

I put most food in the top section. I pack a tight pack with little food in the main compartment. I'm probably gonna pack more tortillas again for the next trip.

I usually have one nice sandwich packed for the lunch going in and like it not to be smashed up. The last luxury before converting over to shit/nuts/chews. :)

Dinner - Cous cous. just add hot water.. and you can buy bulk dried vegetables or herbs to add (which weigh nothing and are compact). Those fancy mashed potatoes are good, especially with something like cheese to add. Dried soups can be good for getting salt.

I found a great energy bar that seems almost magic - Pemmican bars. They are pretty dense and not too sweet, and have complete protein in them. Something about it just works.

Quick energy: have you tried crystallized ginger? It's full of sugar and also calms your stomach. I also enjoy fruit snacks... recently I had My Little Pony fruit snacks, which was kind of cute. OK maybe that's silly. But they taste great and are nearly as effective as those expensive Shot Blocks.

While bivying on Curtis Ridge enroute to LR, my partner pulled out three Whoppers with cheese for dinner. I had some lame freeze dried crap. Fucker didn't even share. Not even a nibble. Adding insult to injury, the combination of altitude, exertion, and Whoppers resulted in unbelievable gas which rocked the I-Tent all night.

Back on topic:

Q4T:

Gorp :tdown: never mix salt and sugar as a combination

pizza.

My wifes oatmeal choclate chip cookies, are a great source of energy and DELICIOUS
Ditto at Casa de 3pin.

On longer trips, my favorite lunch food is dried hummus with a bunch of olive oil, onion flakes, and cheddar cheese with a tortilla or bagel. Super energy.

mcD 1/4 lb's w/ cheese

mike n' ikes (or dykes n' kykes as my quasi-jew friend refers to them)

anything from the lil'debbie line: oatmeal creme pies, stars, brownie, etc.

hero pies (apple flavor for breakfast!)

instant grits n' pre-cooked bacon

corn-nuts - every flavor, especially salsa

heh...that reminds me of my experiment i left in my cube at work (i haven't worked there for ~ a year). there is the mascot: a sealed package of gouda cheese. it has been slowly breaking down...it has been there for approximately 2 years.

also a sealed package of tuna that is well over a year past its expiration. i wonder how long that will last or if it will eventually expand? it is sealed....

After I went over the hill I was looking for an edge to try to come closer to keeping up.

Energy gel, specifically GU. It has the highest content to weight ratio of all the gels. A good energy drink mix also works, like Citomax.

When on a hard approach/climb I don't eat ANY food until dinner, it conflicts with the instant digestion of the GU. That's why it works so good, it's near to pre-digested. If you eat hard food it diverts blood to the digestive system. I feel like a 20% increase in energy this way.

food for dinner is dried cup-o-soups, taken out of the cardboard cup and put in a zip-lock(way cheaper than the freeze dried meal packs), bagels/baugettes or any other hard bread, dried instant potato can thicken soups to a stew. Olive oil for fat. I'm a vegan so for protein it's soy or almond cheese, an alternative is canned fish like herring or sardines. Salmon, beef, deer jerky is also good.

For longer trips you have to up the volume. More than 3 days you start to eat more, your body demands it, up amount by about 1/3. On the 10 day ptarmigan traverse we had one old timer with us who brought 1 pound of butter. We were all laughing at him at the trailhead but near the end we were all begging for some of his butter.

Food

ALL protein/carbs = 1600 cal/lb

FAT = 4200 cal/lb

Candy bars all around 2000-2200 cal/lb

Fritos 3100 cal/lb

Toasted Pecans 3200 cal/lb

Almonds salted flavored or plain 3000 cal/lb

Peanuts (boring and tasteless but cheep) 2600 cal/lb

Cheese 2600 cal/lb

Top romen is very expensive compared to buying spagetti noodles for those wanting noodles add bullion cubes for some flavor and viola dinner at 1/3 the cost of top romen and 1/10th the cost of the "dried" meals which are nothing more than noodles and spices that you buy at REI etc.

Gingersnaps and other hard cookies last 3 weeks.

Heavy Breads like Bananna Bread/Raisin Bread when vacuum Packed last 3 weeks.

Pizza lasts ~ 4 days easy

Pop Tarts are only 1800 cal/lb but even if crumbs are good

Beef Jerky that is actually dried unlike all the stuff you buy in the stores lasts 1/2 year. Stuff you buy in store lasts a couple weeks at best after being opened since its not actually dried. Real Dried Beef Jerky should be hard and sharp, not soft and chewy like what you buy in the stores.

Corn Nuts stay fresh indefinetly and at 2000 cal/lb give you some corn flavor that we are used to in our diets.

Fritos are the KING of cal/lb in chips at 3100 cal/lb and they last since they are a very hard dense chip.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, this is agood topic and good posts. I learned a few tips, thanks.

Here's my personal list of food reminders. A few highlights:

Olives rock as a comfort food. Good balance of salt and fat for in camp.

Pecorino Romano cheese is great. Again, salt and fat, and keeps forever.

My vegetarian buddy likes gardenburgers and mustard in English muffins. Small, compact, and pretty crush proof. Not as dry in the mouth as bagels can be.

Here's my list:

Driving early morning to a one day climb

· Banana

· Hard boiled egg, peeled in bag with salt

· Balance bar or bran muffin

· Water (20 oz)

· Thermos of green tea

· 1 can of Ensure or mixed Spiz energy drink

Food while climbing

· brown rice syrup or Gu packs (3 packs per day)

· Spiz or carb drink mix added to water

· 2 liters / 3 20 oz. Gatorade bottles plus 16 oz water

· 4 or so hard candies per day

· halvah (small amount, winter only)

· olives in Nalgene bottle

· bagel with Trader Joes’s olive tapenade mix

· sliced pecorino romano chese

· landjaeger (German dry sausage, get at German delis, 1 stick per day)

· Chocolate covered espresso beans (winter /cool weather only)

Breakfast on multi day climb

· granola bars, or Muesli in bag with protein powder, mix w/hot water in bag

· NO instant oatmeal for breakfast

· Car camp breakfast: Muesli w/protein powder, rice milk in a small solid plastic jar, ziplock bag, spoon

Dinner on multi day climb

· Dried miso soup (Trader Joes) or Ramne for first course

· condiment packs (parm cheese, pepper flakes)

· Awajimaya Thai flavor top ramen packages

· DINNER: 1 cup Trader Joes dry tortellini, 1 packet instant pasta sauce (Alfredo, Pesto, 1 oz. olive oil, packet of red pepper flakes, packet of parmesan cheese, 1 quality zip lock freezer bag. Boil 2 cups water, pour in bag with ingredients, put in fleece hat, then inside sleeping bag, eat in 10-15 minutes.

For the car afterwards

· nice canned treats: Trader Joes dolmas

· corn chips or potato chips

· fruit juice

· Trader Joes chocolate milk

nuun

3 in 1 asian instant coffee packets

instant mashed spuds (Idahoan brand pleeze)

Landsjaeger (!!)

pilot bread

Trader Joe Bananas Flattened

hot Jello

couscous with salt-cured olives, sundried tomatoes, and dried shallots and preserved lemon (+ an optional protein)

curried rice with reconstituted dried veg, dried coconut milk

olive oil and various other condiments from the great website minimus.biz

5K; I stole this from I think Rock and Ice and have used it on two trips, works well.

At your house: cook up a pack of brats or sausages, sautee bell peppers onions, etc. Mix with some cheese. Wrap up a couple ( I make 4, and wrap 2 together so I have two ready to go on 1st and second day) burritos and put in tin foil. ThenI put in the extra into a pot with a locking lid and stuff some more tortillas in a bag. Reheat that night.

Even my vegetarian climbing partner was jealous.

I used to get out in the mountains just to fish.

I would take a plastic tarp, sleeping bag, warm coat, rubber rain coat, frying pan, coffee can, matches, large knife, fishing pole, and potatoes, salt and margerine for frying the fish.

Cheap fun.

But now I would do the Coos Coos recipe above and add pine nuts.