Deaths on K2

mullster

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Although its always difficult getting details and the facts of a incident that high on any Mountain, alot of innuendo and assuming seems to be going on with the reporting, and this stupid statement made by www.everestnews.com "These men, while not American or European, have given their lives trying to save others and should be honored the same as if they were western climbers. What we can tell you at this point is one was a Pakistani Porter and one a Sherpa".

I am not sure why the reporting on this event has to be confrontational or guess work, a Swedish report of this was even worse quoting one climber bad mouthing a guy who fell 300 meters after "laying on top of him on his back" trying to avoid a fall, the climber yelled "use your pick" and the climber fell to his death, he then went on about people with lack of expierence depending on other sources to get them up the mountain.

I know to this day there are conflicting stories about the Everest tragedy and a great deal of finger pointing. maybe this is just a battle of the survivors ego's.

IT SUCKS.

I posted about this earlier this morning in the int'l section.

A friend and climbing partner of mine has just finished a unsuccessful summit attempt this weekend on Broad Peak. They are now reporting they are headed to K2.

Their blog is not nearly as active as Mike's - the one posted above (who is also a Minnesotan), but it will be interesting to see what they decide to do under the circumstances.

k2tallmountain

It's a sad day for many. Good wishes continue for those who are involved.

Carolyn, I know Chuck Boyd and rushed to check their blog tonight on seeing the news. Was relieved to to see they were just back in base camp at Broad Peak. Wonder if now they won't end up just supporting rescue / recovery efforts. I don't believe they have high altitude porters with them, so if the fixed lines are now gone off the bottleneck on K2 I suspect it will be a tough go for them if they were to decide to still try it - if the mountain even remains open.

All and all trying to go up to rescue people at that altitude is a really tough situation. The rescue folks have to consider how well acclimatized they are. They also have to put their own personal safety above trying to rescue people.

Going to climb a route like that as an experienced climber you know going in that you are putting yourself at a high level of risk.

K2 is an incredible mountain. I'd like to go there. At the same time I'm sorry to hear about this event.