Best camp shoe when glacier camping?

dross

When I bring double plastics, I just wear the inner boot around camp. But when I'm wearing leathers, I bring sneakers or pair of Keen sandals (crocs are too slick). I'm trying to find a better alternative that is super compressible so I can reduce volume in the backpack.

What is your favorite shoe for kicking around camp?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For glacier camps I always go Boots, though the down booties would seem to be a good choice depending on the glacier hazards. I have these Sanuk (Donny) shoes and am thinking they would make a great camp shoe. They're as light as any flip flop out there.

The down booties can be slippery and downright dangerous if your camp is in a location where there is potential to slide over the edge of something. I used to know someone who would glue running shoe soles on his booties for this reason.

Aqua socks: cheap, lightweight, easy on/off, rubber bottom and 80's fabulous

which ones?

I have some old Nike Aquasocks and they're my standard camp shoe. Great for fording streams, dry quickly, wear 'em with or without socks. Before spending any real money, I'd check the big warehouse stores like Sports Authority. I've seen cheap ones there for $9-10 that would work just fine.

Sierra Designs down booties :tup:

Unless it is super melted out, the work very well for me on snow.

I had a pair, don't remember the brand, with Cordura soles which were both fairly water resistant and not slippery, in addition to being fairly light and compressible. :tup:

Sierra Designs down booties :tup:

Unless it is super melted out, the work very well for me on snow.

I had a pair, don't remember the brand, with Cordura soles which were both fairly water resistant and not slippery, in addition to being fairly light and compressible. :tup:

Yep, that sounds like the booties I have :rawk:

• 4 weeks later...

Glad you went with the off-brand AquaSox. I have both the Nike AS and the "Joe's Sporting Goods" knock-off (cuz I thought I lost the AS for about 10 years or so - they turned up in the last move). They work great for summer climbs with snow camps.

For winter climbs/snow camps, I mimic mkporwit and billcoe with the Cordura-bottomed SD down booties. I quash mattp's argument about slipperiness in that when I need to go to the latrine, I just pull on the plastic shell over the bootie. Works just fine, the fit is firm and supportive because of the expanded down, and I have traction with the shell's sole.