favorite climbing quotes

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muttered by a friend at every rappel - "I hate rappelling, and I don't want to die this way"

That's funny in an eerie sort of way. I've been saying that myself before every rap (just the first clause, though) for 20+ years now. It makes me pause and think a bit before I commit my weight to the anchor. Plus, if I do die, at least people know what to put on my tombstone.

"Here lies Sobo. My, how he hated rappelling." :laf:

Muttered by a friend at every rappel - "I hate rappelling, and I don't want to die this way"

That's funny in an eerie sort of way. I've been saying that myself before every rap (just the first clause, though) for 20+ years now. It makes me pause and think a bit before I commit my weight to the anchor. Plus, if I do die, at least people know what to put on my tombstone.

"Here lies Sobo. My, how he hated rappelling." :laf:

Amen, bro. I always prefer downclimbing when feasible. Rappelling sucks.

"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun."

Mark Twight

Good quote. This pretty much describes just about any big climb, whether it be a wall, a big high altitude mountain, or a big alpine route. Yes, I've had actual fun on more than one outing, but the actual "fun" days are usually found on smaller endeavors where dehydration, exhaustion, and overall fear are less. Going out with a bunch of friends to yuk it up on a familiar climb = fun. Stretching my limits and struggling for 22 hours without a break = fun in retrospect more than the actual moment. For me, there have been some shining moments on big climbs where I felt it all came together in some way, but the "fun" part has more often come while sitting in camp or celebrating after the climb was completed.