favorite climbing quotes

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one from a contemporary of ours, quite recently. The setting: way up on an unclimbed slab, I'm nearly freaking out, "where am I going to rest, how am I going to get some pro, gotta get over to that edge, this is all blank, I'm way past his last bolt, this wierd ramp is just barely good enough to stand on..." buzzing like a mozzie in my head. Hand drilling on lead is proving to be a strange new game indeed.

In unknown terrain in a sea of wavy granite, I'm twenty feet past David's last bolt and looking for a place pleasant enough to stand and drill another one. I've got a three eighths drill for the big bullets, and a quarter inch setup for the quick business. All this weight and clatter, with the penalty of a scraping fall down the slab with any misstep, and I'm getting worried.

So it was like a cool breeze to hear, coming up from the belay, the master calmly mention:

"Just think: What would Warren Harding do?"

Hammer in a quick quarter inch hole, bat hook, stand in etriers and drill a big one. Yeah!

Not climbing per say, but reminiscent of a bivy or two:

Go without a coat when it's cold; find out what cold is. Go hungry; keep your existence lean. Wear away the fat, get down to the lean tissue and see what it`s all about. The only time you define your character is when you go without. In times of hardship, you find out what you're made of and what you're capable of. If you're never tested, You'll never define your character.

-Henry Rollins

Concerned friend: "Aren't you hungry?"

Romanian hardman: "It is good to be hungry."

Rick Sylvester? after he he and his Romanian? hardman partner got knocked down by a near-miss lightning strike in the Alps:

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. I only hit in head."

Message left by Vulgarians in the Bugaboos: "Turn back, turn back, you will all be killed."

Pete Cleveland: "It weally aggwavated my hemawoids."

The next time you curse the fact that it's Monday, just think of it as proof that you made it through another weekend without killing yourself by doing something stupid. (Phil Garding)

I think climbers should get credit just for remembering what their jobs are on Mondays... (Gary Clark)