[TR] - Martin Pk.-Mt. Fricaba-Foss Pk.

PVD

Trip: Martin Pk.- Mt. Fricaba-Hal Foss Pk.

Date: 7/17-7/19/2008

Trip Report:

This trip report is a little dated, but my photos turned out pretty well so I thought I'd share....

Conditions were fantastic July 17-19 as I explored the alpine area beyond Royal Lake. I climbed Martin Peak, Mt. Fricaba, and Hal Foss Peak from a camp on a bench above upper Royal Basin. This was my first trip to this region of the Olympics.

I was impressed.

After dealing with road construction along Highway 101, I got a late start and did not reach upper Royal Basin until 7:30 p.m. Thursday. I decided against trying to negotiate the steep divide between Royal and Deception Basins so late in the day. Instead of camping in Deception Basin, as I had planned, I found a beautiful camp site high above Royal Basin that I deemed outside of the reservations-only area.

This was my view of Mt. Deception at sunrise Friday:

Deception_from_Camp.JPG

In the morning, I climbed over the ridge southeast of upper Royal Basin, descended steeply, and crossed Milk Creek, which originates on Mt. Fricaba’s north side.

Mt. Fricaba’s northern aspect:

Fricaba_from_ridge_above_Milk_Creek.JPG

I ascended snowfields, talus, and scree on Fricaba’s northeast side to incredible views:

Morning fog and a sea of peaks:

View_from_Fricaba.JPG

Olympus:

Olympus_from_Martin_summit.JPG

Hal Foss Peak and Mt. Mystery:

Foss-Mystery_from_Fricaba.JPG

Mt. Deception and Deception Basin:

Deception_and_Basin_from_Fricaba.JPG

I then descended loose rock down Fricaba’s west side into beautiful Deception Basin, and hiked to Hal Foss Peak’s northwest flank.

Foss Peak from slope north of Deception Basin:

Foss_from_Basin.JPG

About an hour of Class 2 scrambling and hiking moderate snow slopes brought me to an easy Class 3 finish and more breath-taking scenery:

Deception Basin from Foss Peak:

upright_Deception_Basin_from_Foss_.JPG

The Needles from Foss Peak:

Upright_needles_from_foss_.JPG

Needles_closeup_from_Foss_Peak.JPG

I had wondered about the route up Mystery from Deception Basin. It did not look good from my perspective. The glacier did not appear to be a major obstacle, but the climbing above the ice looked pretty sketchy -- steep, loose rock with cliffy exposure.

Mt. Mystery from the divide between Royal/Deception basins:

Mt_Mystery_from_Deception_Pass.JPG

The divide east of Mt. Deception appeared nearly vertical from afar. The route I chose, though, was steep but fairly easy. I topped the ridge at a notch just east of the mini-peak next to Deception, descended a 40-degree snow slope, and hiked through upper Royal Basin back to my camp late Friday afternoon.

I surveyed Martin Peak from my camp, trying to identify a line to the summit. From this perspective -- basically due west -- the route described in the Olympic climbing guide looked pretty intimidating. The guide, though, assured me that routes up to the Deception-Martin ridge were straightforward, so I decided to give it a shot Saturday morning.

Martin Peak from Upper Royal Basin:

upright_Martin_from_Royal_Basin_.JPG

I hiked through Royal Basin, ascended a snowfield south of the Surprise Basin terminal moraine, and climbed steep, loose rock to more solid and higher-gradient terrain. About an hour of Class 3 scrambling over solid ledges and ramps led me to the ridge top -- but I was too close to Mt. Deception. The ridge couldn’t be traversed to Martin Peak from this point, so I down-climbed, headed north a bit, and ascended rock above a snow-filled gully up to a large notch that provided access to an easy ridge scramble to Martin's summit.

Again, the views were spectacular:

Mt. Deception:

Deception_from_aMartin_summit.JPG

Glacier west of Deception summit:

Glacier_from_M_artin_Summit.JPG

The climbing guide’s Martin Peak Route 1 description is short but accurate. The path I chose was solidly Class 3, with a little exposure at times. Good hand-holds and solid ledges made it a relatively mellow outing. The ascent took me 2 hours, 45 minutes from my high camp. The descent and hike back took about two hours.

I enjoyed a last meal at my beautiful camp before heading out.

A great trip.

Gear Notes:

Axe, helmet, crampons

Edited by PVD

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great TR and Photos PVD. When we did Martin we traversed the ridge north of it from the Incisor. I recall Martin being a nice, fun, easy scramble at the top. I also remember descending what was probably your up-route, and finding (mid-August) a long, long, scree chute down to the bottom.

John

Thanks John.

Yep, Martin was a pretty cool/easy scramble up top. I think that chute you describe was filled with softening snow, and I opted for scrambling the rock above it. I nearly headed down that chute, but decided to down-climb the same way I came up. I don't think I chose the easiest route, but it was fun.

I recall reading your report about that ridge traverse a while back. Really impressive trip. I had your description of the Martin scramble in the back of my mind when I decided to pass on attempting Mt. Mystery and give Martin a shot.

Paul