Critical Mass Cyclists

Fairweather

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with some exceptions, many of the riders i see wearing logo'd gear obviously got it for free or very cheap. it may look tacky, but a cycling jersey is pretty nice for riding. i have a Crest toothpaste jersey and a coor light silver bullet jersey i got at the thrift shop. they have pockets for storing your leg and arm warmers, which i like to wearing around the house without anything else on.

Be still my heart!

The neighbors must get quite the thrill! :lmao:

I call bullshit on the shaving your legs because of road rash. How many times a year do you go down on your bike. I have gotten hit once and I really dont see the benefeit of shaving outweighing the giant pain in the ass and the gayness that ensues.

I think the reality is that people who bike are generally pretentious and proud people who want to be noticed. Shaving their legs is a good way to break the ice to tell a chick that you are a 'hard-core' speed racer.

II think the reality is that people who bike are generally pretentious and proud people who want to be noticed. Shaving their legs is a good way to break the ice to tell a chick that you are a 'hard-core' speed racer.

I think the reality is more that they simply want to go somewhere and a bike is good transportation...

Granted, I'll never endorse commuting while dressed like you want to be in the tour de france, but to each his or her own. The jerseyed up shaved ones are more fun to blow by in my cargo shorts and t-shirt, however. :lmao:

I think the reality is that people who bike are generally pretentious and proud people who want to be noticed.
I think the reality is that the ones you notice are the pretentious and proud ones, while the ones you (that is the collective 'you') don't notice are just trying to get somewhere without being run over.

It may very well be better to look a little ghey than to look a little like ground beef. I guess we all have to find our own threshold of acceptable gheyness. I go for lots of reflective tape.

I call bullshit on the shaving your legs because of road rash. How many times a year do you go down on your bike. I have gotten hit once and I really dont see the benefeit of shaving outweighing the giant pain in the ass and the gayness that ensues.
I did that once with some clippers. I don't really remember why, maybe for aerodynamics. All I really remember is that it felt pretty cool--I mean in the tactile sense, as opposed to the psychological. Actually it seems to me that having a healthy coat of leg hair should protect the skin from abrasion, to a certain extent. Edited by ashw_justin

It may very well be better to look a little ghey than to look a little like ground beef. I guess we all have to find our own threshold of acceptable gheyness. I go for lots of reflective tape.

"I did that once with some clippers. I don't really remember why, maybe for aerodynamics. All I really remember is that it felt pretty cool--I mean in the tactile sense, as opposed to the psychological. Actually it seems to me that having a healthy coat of leg hair should protect the skin from abrasion, to a certain extent."

"Tactile" - interesting description!!! :o

Has to do with the cleaning out of gravel, hair is harder to clean out - though I don't have any on my legs, I have cleaned some nasty road rash at some bike races in the EMT tent. Also, it scabs over a bit easier/quicker.

Edited by Tokogirl

Its partially to mitigate against road rash and infection, but primarily done because really good cyclists have massage therapist that would otherwise friction the hair out of the follicle. Have you ever had a good, deep tissue massage done on your hairy legs? Most of the ghey cyclists in Seattle dont have personal masseuses. They do it because they are ghey.

Its partially to mitigate against road rash and infection, but primarily done because really good cyclists have massage therapist that would otherwise friction the hair out of the follicle. Have you ever had a good, deep tissue massage done on your hairy legs? Most of the ghey cyclists in Seattle dont have personal masseuses. They do it because they are ghey.

now your theory on hair and massage is a bunch of bullshit (to put it in mild terms)

So if I shave my legs, my skin won't look like ground beef after a fall? :confused:
Well I was referring to more than just leg-shaving when I said that. Also by ground beef I was referring to roadkill, that is the appearance of an innocent mammalian organism after being obliterated by 2000 pounds of excessive steel cocoon.

now your theory on hair and massage is a bunch of bullshit (to put it in mild terms)

Don't sugar-coat it, asshole, just do your research and shut the fuck up.

Most people do it now because they think it looks cool, with some accident-prone riders claiming cleaning the rash is easier. Both are true to some degree, but if you look back at the old-school elite riders, comfy massage was a big factor.

If you truly want to discuss why your weekend warrior cyclists are doing it today, it's because everyone else is doing it, and they are probably a little gay.

Oh and yes, I applaud and encourage bicycling, public transit, and walking. But CM's are pure douchery.

Word.

Guarantee that the percentage of fixed-gear cyclists skews waaaay high relative to their distribution amongst all cyclists. Not that I'm suggesting that there's a correlation there or anything...

Don't sugar-coat it, asshole, just do your research and shut the fuck up.

Most people do it now because they think it looks cool, with some accident-prone riders claiming cleaning the rash is easier. Both are true to some degree, but if you look back at the old-school elite riders, comfy massage was a big factor.

If you truly want to discuss why your weekend warrior cyclists are doing it today, it's because everyone else is doing it, and they are probably a little gay.

wow! aren't you an expert! I was referring to your bogus theory of hair and deep massage and the level of comfort- which is simply a complete bullshit. you see i am a massage therapist with 10 years of experience in sport and rehab work (about 25-30 1hr treatments a week for the past 8 years= roughly 10k massages). i worked in the past with some pros (like players from Oakland Raiders) and olympic athletes (members of US Ski team), as well with weekend warriors. fact of the matter is you can have a effective and good treatment with body hair- that's what biotone is for. more of the issue is long hair and neck-shoulder work, particularly implementing STR protocol.

so what is your source of research?- please share, and enlighten uneducated masses (including myself)!

Yeah, like singing and holding hands. Don't laugh, it worked once.

I was thinking more like assassinations, economic subversion, sabotage, talk radio--but if you really think holding hands will work...

in your statement you clearly support terrorism (and communism- kind of organized terrorism), since you support their methods! don't even try to deny that, your statement is for the record. next thing we find out is that in reality you are just another dick sucking closet ghey!