Critical Mass Cyclists

Fairweather

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the Ancient Egyptians, and the other Africans

The Mayans, the Incas, and all the Polynesians.

All around the world, a long long time ago,

People would walk, where ever they had to go.

They didn't have car keys, and they didn't have roads --

They didn't have those ugly convenience stores, or Texacos

In fact, all around the world, a long long time ago,

people would walk, where ever they had to go.

Well now it's the 1990's, and the gasoline does flow,

but I still try and walk most of the places I have to go

But sometimes my friends will stop and say,

"Hey Frank! There's a bus or a cab over there...

Why don't we go ahead and get in it?"

But I say no, no, no, and didn't you know,

you get to know things better when they go by slow.

--Poi Dog Pondering, The Ancient Egyptians

http://www.lyricstime.com/poi-dog-pondering-the-ancient-egyptians-lyrics.html

Street thugs. The only thing the driver of that Subaru did wrong was forget to back up and take out a few more of your sorry asses.

Good thing you're only joking about killing people. Imagine if you were joking about burning down (empty) McMansion developments! Man, THEN you'd get the scorn of CC!

--Poi Dog Pondering

These "poi-dogs" are big on message but ignorant in history.

The Ancient Egyptians (and the Polynesians) had their own vehicles on the highways: boats. The Nile was like I-5 for the Egyptians and the Polynesians cruised around from island to island in canoes.

The Incas built some of the greatest roads ever and the Mayans had their own to connect their cities.

The Persians and the Romans built expansive road networks across their empires. In some places you can even see ruts in the stone pavement from wheeled vehicles.

Rutted road at Pompeii:

380_pompeii_2.jpg

Street thugs. The only thing the driver of that Subaru did wrong was forget to back up and take out a few more of your sorry asses.

Good thing you're only joking about killing people. Imagine if you were joking about burning down (empty) McMansion developments! Man, THEN you'd get the scorn of CC!

OK, you got him there. :grlaf:

--Poi Dog Pondering

The Ancient Egyptians (and the Polynesians) had their own vehicles on the highways: boats. The Nile was like I-5 for the Egyptians and the Polynesians cruised around from island to island in canoes.

The Incas built some of the greatest roads ever and the Mayans had their own to connect their cities.

The Persians and the Romans built expansive road networks across their empires. In some places you can even see ruts in the stone pavement from wheeled vehicles.

Rutted road at Pompeii:

380_pompeii_2.jpg

Now there's some permanent degradation of rock!

Only thing is, you weren't joking.

I love it when mobs (who use their strength in numbers to inflict their will on others) are completely decimated by the bravery of one individual who has the balls and the violence of action to change the entire direction of the unfolding events.

Quite the little sociology experiment. Where can I sign up?

I love it when mobs (who use their strength in numbers to inflict their will on others) are completely decimated by the bravery of one individual who has the balls and the violence of action to change the entire direction of the unfolding events.

post_usmc_want-action_ww2.jpg

post_usmc_want-action_ww2.jpg

They'd certainly know about decimating crowds of people.

Rutted road at Pompeii:

380_pompeii_2.jpg

It's music. They're expressing a sentiment, not giving a history lesson. OTOH, thanks for that picture.

The stone roads are artifacts and I suppose that together with other historical evidence they could be used to tell a nice story about an ancient civilization. But archaeology that really speaks to you tells you something useful for today. And today one of those issues could be our perspective on time and how it structures our lives.

Jeremy Rifkin's Time Wars is a great book on this issue. Also, Harlan Ellison's story, "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman, is dead on the target.

Time Wars: The Primary Conflict in Human History

" And so it goes. And so it goes. And so it goes. And so it goes goes goes goes goes tick tock tick tock tick tock and one day we no longer let time serve us, we serve time and we are slaves of the schedule, worshippers of the sun's passing, bound into a life predicted on restrictions.." (Ellison,115)

[gvideo]-2966542393735208484[/gvideo]

Just you watch. Someday there will be gangs of angry pedestrians walking down the street with baseball bats ready to smash cars…

L.A. riots, 1992, Reginald Denny

Not exactly but similar