Critical Mass Cyclists

Fairweather

For the record (unlike Bill O'Riley, I speak the one truth): Critical mass started out as a good idea until it was taken over by the fixies and anarchists. I've rode in two in the last two years to see what it was all about. What I came away with is that its pretty cool to be able to travel on the road for a little while and not have to worry about being taken out by someone opening their car door, a motorist taking a right turn and cutting you off, or being threatened for being on the road at all. Its also interesting to note how many more people can transit a downtown street per mile/minute. Its simply more efficient.

But at the same time, Critical Mass really pisses off motorists when they get "corked" and have to witness hundreds of bikers ignore the laws by running red lights. Most drivers that get caught up in it have no idea whats going on nor what the point is to the parade of bikes. It mostly has turned into a party on two wheels. Some ride drunk or drink while riding. Much of the problem is that there is no centralized leadership and hence no one that takes any responsibility for the actions of the mob. Most cyclists/bike commuters/etc denounce it. Just like most Muslims denounce Jihadists.

If traffic rules were obeyed, bikers wearing or carrying signs that state traffic/bike laws and facts would be a more effective protest. Denouncing cars and rabble rousing is never an effective way to protest. Informing people and leading by peaceful examples are much more effective:

In Seattle, its legal to ride a bike on the sidewalk. Otherwise, bikes and cars must follow the same laws.

On roads which have two lanes in the same direction, its legal for a bike to ride in the middle of the lane if it is going close to the speed limit (i.e. on hills where its very dangerous to be passed in the same lane and their are parked cars on the right). It is a safety issue and not an attempt to be a jerk. Do you get pissed off at a car traveling at the speed limit? If so, you are the jerk.

The overwhelming majority of traffic fatalities and injuries are caused by motorists. Can you even name one fatality caused by a bike? The fact is, motorists rage should be focused on other motorists and not bikes. Note the following study:

Ottawa-Carleton commuter cyclist on-and off-road incident rates

Lisa Aultman-Halla, and Fred L. Hall Department of Civil Engineering, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506-0281, U.S.A. Departments of Civil Engineering and Geography, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4L7

Received 28 October 1996;

Abstract

This analysis overcomes the known limitations of police and emergency room bicycle accident databases through use of a survey that asked cyclists to indicate their accident history as well as their regular commute route to work or school. By relating the route information of the 1604 respondents (52.5% of the distributed questionnaires) to facility attributes in a Geographic Information System, defensible estimates of travel exposure on roads, off-road paths and sidewalks were developed. The relative rates of collisions on the three different facility types were not statistically different from 1.0. The relative rates for falls and injuries suggest it is safest to cycle on-road followed by off-road paths and trails, and finally least safe on sidewalks. While there were no major injuries reported on sidewalks, the relative rate for these events on paths was greater than the rate for roads. The absolute event rates per bicycle kilometre were found to be between 10 and 41 times higher than similar rates for automobile travel. Results suggest a need to discourage sidewalk cycling, and to further investigate the safety of off-road paths/trails. The analysis also demonstrates the need for bicycle travel exposure information and the use of more than just collision databases for bicycle safety analysis.

So motorists, please do your best not to mow us down nor get pissed off by cyclists that obey the laws. A few cyclists are assholes but do not represent the majority. Bikes pose little threat to cars. They don't cause traffic jams (except during critical mass). At worst, they may slow you down for a very brief period of time but much less so than congested traffic does. A bike takes up significantly less space than if it is replaced by a car. Too many cars on the road cause delays way more than bikes. Your anger at bikes is misplaced. These are the facts. I would be interested to hear them disputed in an intelligent manner rather than a belligerent one.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oops, sorry... didn't see ya!

3YnM8-gwy28

Interesting video. I guess that bike rider learned the hard way that pedestrians have the right of way. Unfortunately, he found out the NYPD way. But he is also lucky he did not get a plunger shoved up his ass while the cops where chanting "It's Giuliani time, motherfucker"... :ooo:

wow! aren't you an expert! I was referring to your bogus theory of hair and deep massage and the level of comfort- which is simply a complete bullshit. you see i am a massage therapist with 10 years of experience in sport and rehab work (about 25-30 1hr treatments a week for the past 8 years= roughly 10k massages). i worked in the past with some pros (like players from Oakland Raiders) and olympic athletes (members of US Ski team), as well with weekend warriors. fact of the matter is you can have a effective and good treatment with body hair- that's what biotone is for. more of the issue is long hair and neck-shoulder work, particularly implementing STR protocol.

so what is your source of research?- please share, and enlighten uneducated masses (including myself)!

...so, you massage other guys for a living? :noway::hcluv: I didn't realize we were issuing L-1 visas for that particular, um, eh, er, "skill".

oops, sorry... didn't see ya!

3YnM8-gwy28

Interesting video. I guess that bike rider learned the hard way that pedestrians have the right of way. Unfortunately, he found out the NYPD way. But he is also lucky he did not get a plunger shoved up his ass while the cops where chanting "It's Giuliani time, motherfucker"... :ooo:

quote from Seattle Times ( http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008078611_criticalmass29m.html ):

The Subaru was parked perpendicular to the street, and was backed over a sidewalk and someone's front lawn, said Braun, 36. He stopped and stood straddling his bike to watch as the cyclists tried to calm the driver.

"He was screaming the whole time and yelled something about being late for a [dinner] reservation — and he floors it, he literally floors it into a bunch of people and I took the brunt of it," he said.

A woman was also hit but jumped free, he said, and a man jumped onto the hood of the car to avoid being hit. But Braun — and his bike — got pulled beneath the vehicle.

So, will the truth come out? And did ya notice that the driver of the Subaru was supposedly yelling about being 'late for a dinner appointment'?

I'm glad we have a functioning legal system where the process goes beyond the public instantly judging right or wrong by the stories they hear.

In this day though with teh Internets you can get multiple streams of information and instant judging of events should become less frequent for more informed readers.

Rookie cop gave dubious account of his videotaped bicyclist assault

NYPD Investigates Cop Videotaped Throwing Cyclist Off Bike

I don't support the rolling mayhem but if this was an officially sanctioned event such as a parade then there's small chance they would've been a problem. Could'ja image a driver plowing into a group of Shriners in minicars? Of course, if I understand correctly, the point of Critical Mass is it's spontaneity so it might have more in common with Santarchy & Santacon“No force on earth can stop one hundred Santas!”

I ride in the mass every month. It's hilarious. Most of the time, the drivers we stop are laughing and know it's just going to blow over in 10 minutes anyway.

Sometimes though, people get pissed. It's expected and we all anticipate it. We usually deal with it peacefully and everyone goes on their way.

Then, one day *four or five* out of THOUSANDS of cyclists become assholes and start punching people in cars. Now thousands of cyclists are in the drivers' crosshairs because you can't possibly realize the fact that the jerks who threw punches and smacked that guy in the head with a u-lock are simply a minority.

Drivers and cyclists are no different. We all pay property taxes for the infrastructure we use and we're all human beings who should respect eachother. You know, there are people who simultaneously own bikes and cars. wow. think of that.

wow! aren't you an expert! I was referring to your bogus theory of hair and deep massage and the level of comfort- which is simply a complete bullshit. you see i am a massage therapist with 10 years of experience in sport and rehab work (about 25-30 1hr treatments a week for the past 8 years= roughly 10k massages). i worked in the past with some pros (like players from Oakland Raiders) and olympic athletes (members of US Ski team), as well with weekend warriors. fact of the matter is you can have a effective and good treatment with body hair- that's what biotone is for. more of the issue is long hair and neck-shoulder work, particularly implementing STR protocol.

so what is your source of research?- please share, and enlighten uneducated masses (including myself)!

...so, you massage other guys for a living? :noway::hcluv: I didn't realize we were issuing L-1 visas for that particular, um, eh, er, "skill".

LOL, its true i've never heard anybody brag about massaging other men so much. Bob, if you think you are such an expert on the human body you may want to look in to an actual medical profession to put your talents to work rather than giving massages. The fact that these schools advertise constantly on raidio stations should give you a clue about the rigorous standards (or lack thereof) "students" are put to. Bust out the flamethrower!!!

that explains your mom being here- right? besides most likely your homophobic attitude stems from the massage your uncle bubba gave you in a tooshed at the age of 5? that would also explain the state of your intellectual development.

and mr bigmouth- i would recommend to talk shit about immigrants fri night in "Harnas" on Milwaukee Av in chicago. i'll give you whole 5 seconds on your feet before you hit the floor. till you do that i would remind your sorry ass T-A=0 (zero is what your person represents anyway)

LOL, its true i've never heard anybody brag about massaging other men so much. Bob, if you think you are such an expert on the human body you may want to look in to an actual medical profession to put your talents to work rather than giving massages. The fact that these schools advertise constantly on raidio stations should give you a clue about the rigorous standards (or lack thereof) "students" are put to. Bust out the flamethrower!!!

that's right. i am first one to admit, that the standards even in wa state are waaay too low. BC requires 3000 hours. radio and tv stations advertise cars- somehow i don't think you are walking everywhere? and contrary to your sorry beliefs massage therapy is a recognized, and licensed medical profession, including europe.oh, strangely enough so called medical professionals frequently schedule appointments with me when they have an injury. subject, judged by the number of your post, most likely you are not really familiar with.

You know, there are people who simultaneously own bikes and cars. wow. think of that.

I don't think that I believe you. Since I started riding my bike, I sold my car(s) and make my wife ride the bus. As a matter of fact, I ride my bike to go climbing too. I think I am gonna invent "bike tire chains" so the OSP will stop harassing me when I ride timberline road to go skiing...

As a matter of fact, I also ride my bike for work. I am a HVAC tech, and carry my tool box, torch set, recovery machine and pump on a rack, and carry my ladder on my shoulders. Both ladders. It's a bitch to get big parts, like 5 HP motors and stuff, but hey, that's what the "Crankhead trailer" is for. See life is great without cars. :moondance::rolleyes:

that explains your mom being here- right? besides most likely your homophobic attitude stems from the massage your uncle bubba gave you in a tooshed at the age of 5? that would also explain the state of your intellectual development.

and mr bigmouth- i would recommend to talk shit about immigrants fri night in "Harnas" on Milwaukee Av in chicago. i'll give you whole 5 seconds on your feet before you hit the floor. till you do that i would remind your sorry ass T-A=0 (zero is what your person represents anyway)

I'll bet you have really soft hands, yes?

that's right. i am first one to admit, that the standards even in wa state are waaay too low. BC requires 3000 hours. radio and tv stations advertise cars- somehow i don't think you are walking everywhere? and contrary to your sorry beliefs massage therapy is a recognized, and licensed medical profession, including europe.oh, strangely enough so called medical professionals frequently schedule appointments with me when they have an injury. subject, judged by the number of your post, most likely you are not really familiar with.

OK I let you go now. I hear Comrade Tvashtarketena wait anxiously for his appointment hot polish massage by your soft love hand. Go now. I not judge your slav man love custom any more.

23343786.jpg

OK I let you go now. I hear Comrade Tvashtarketena wait anxiously for his appointment hot polish massage by your soft love hand. Go now. I not judge your slav man love custom any more.

23343786.jpg

Laugh my ass off!!

AND BACK ON TOPIC!

Here's something to think about: There are people that have boats in Seattle. Sometimes they can be pretty tall. When they are taller than the drawbridges, well, they blow their horn and the bridge goes up. All those poor bastards in their cars just sit there and blink. Sometimes the smart ones will turn off their engines. Now, I have waited for WAY more boats crossing under bridges in Seattle than I have had to wait for bikes. In fact, I've never run into critical mass while driving. Anyway, of all those crossings, I have never seen a motorist get irate. And I definitely have not seen anyone crashing through the barrier arm and try to drive up on the raised bridge in an attempt to make it go down.

And the thing is, often, there are only a handful of people in the boat. So why do people get so disproportionately pissed off waiting for hundreds to sometimes a thousand bicyclists to move on by? The amount of time is roughly the same.

There is obviously a large emotional element to this whole thing. Maybe the drivers that are peeved by bikers are jealous of their fitness. Or republican, gun-toting, hard core evangelical christians. Or just plain assholes. Its the same thing with the minority of critical mass bicyclists that are trying to start a conflict. Maybe they are jealous of people that can afford fancy cars so they compensate by acting like they are too cool for school riding their fixies. To really stick it to drivers, their favorite move is to never put their foot on the pavement while waiting for a light to change. These guys are just as annoying as Hummer owners.

Stereotypes are kinda fun and often true sometimes in a certain light usually but not limited to a vague group of hominids.

Fuck the PC Police! BWA represent! The B stands for bitches.

Here's something to think about: There are people that have boats in Seattle. Sometimes they can be pretty tall. When they are taller than the drawbridges, well, they blow their horn and the bridge goes up. All those poor bastards in their cars just sit there and blink. Sometimes the smart ones will turn off their engines. Now, I have waited for WAY more boats crossing under bridges in Seattle than I have had to wait for bikes. In fact, I've never run into critical mass while driving. Anyway, of all those crossings, I have never seen a motorist get irate. And I definitely have not seen anyone crashing through the barrier arm and try to drive up on the raised bridge in an attempt to make it go down.

And the thing is, often, there are only a handful of people in the boat. So why do people get so disproportionately pissed off waiting for hundreds to sometimes a thousand bicyclists to move on by? The amount of time is roughly the same.

There is obviously a large emotional element to this whole thing. Maybe the drivers that are peeved by bikers are the ones that are out of shape. Or republican, gun-toting, hard core evangelical christians. Or just plain assholes. Its the same thing with the minority of critical mass bicyclists that are trying to start a conflict. Except they are likely on the opposite side of the ideological spectrum. Stereotypes are fun. Fuck the PC Police! CWA represent! The C stands for climbers.

I sense a greater willingness to extend right-of-way, consistently, to a herd of elephants than to a scurry of ants.

All I can say is that spandex shorts are a frikin necessity on long bike rides. Ever had your dick go numb because the bike seat unmercifully pounds into your chode? I used to think that cyclists looked gay in their outfits, and they do, but now I understand that its better to look gay and have good blood flow into your nether regions than look cool and feel like your ass was raped the next day.

Advertise!!!!

Edited by jordansahls