Critical Mass Cyclists

Fairweather

I think any time there is a protest you get a mix of subgroups involved in the action.

The WTO thing in Seattle is a good example. The protest was organized by folks who wanted to express an opinion publicly. That's fine, and in America folks should be able to do stuff like that. What eventually happened is some folks joined the protest who were only marginally interested in the protest. This subgroup's main interest was loot and pillage.

This isn't completely related, but it reminds me of some classic stuff.

svK_8DkhvH8&feature=related

Oh yeah :pagetop:

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah fear of anarchy, breakdown, disorder, etc. Those afraid of that will push more social control. What are these movies like Mad Max, etc? Just entertainment or is there a social message as subtext to teach your children?

I must be a complete idiot but I've been thinking about what Jefferson said on liberty and the pursuit of happiness. As I understand it, the pursuit of happiness is not Campbell's

"Follow your bliss."; it's not hedonism in any manner. Rather he meant it in connection with the virtuous life. Only in that way could the individual live in liberty with our inalienable rights while at the same time allow others to exercise their rights. So, no anarchy but liberty...

Car vs. bicycle, and the bicylists get arrested??? Hmmmmmm.

So far they have not been charged, and they will be investigating the road rage response from the subaru driver who instigated the whole deal.

From the PI:

Hildes, who is best known for representing anti-war demonstrators, said the young men were participating in a "principled protest." Their actions, he said, were an effort to stop the fleeing driver from striking more cyclists or escaping.

"You have a driver who was acting out of road rage," Hildes said. "He's lucky he didn't kill someone."

From the PI:

Hildes, who is best known for representing anti-war demonstrators, said the young men were participating in a "principled protest." Their actions, he said, were an effort to stop the fleeing driver from striking more cyclists or escaping.

"You have a driver who was acting out of road rage," Hildes said. "He's lucky he didn't kill someone."

Given CM's history and past antics, I'd be willing to opine that there's more to this incident than either the paper or the CM's lawyer is letting on. I'm just sayin'...

Of course, but if the driver of the subaru had just chilled, and supported the bicyclists, nothing would have happened. Instead his impatience, possibly road rage, did nothing but provoke the incident. Sometimes it is just best to enjoy the delay for a bit.

Of course, but if the driver of the subaru had just chilled, and supported the bicyclists, nothing would have happened. Instead his impatience, possibly road rage, did nothing but provoke the incident. Sometimes it is just best to enjoy the delay for a bit.

Why the hell should he do that? Let's see, Mr. Subaru is heading out for a nice dinner, minding his own business, and obeying traffic laws. Suddenly, he's surrounded by lawbreakers, using their mob mentality to block traffic and hijack everyone else's ability to move freely, and he is supposed to support this? Why? You believe in extortion, then?

I say we put the cyclists out there, the car people out there, and just let them go for it. It would be great.

I say we put the cyclists out there, the car people out there, and just let them go for it. It would be great.

Like bumper cars? Ha ha! I got my money on the cars.

However, this seems to me that this may be another one of those things where you get a bunch of self-righteous asswipes together....and ..well... everyone is unhappy. Have to agree with Feck, the thing about the cyclists, you can have 99% minding their own business, and one jackass: and they all, due to the mass, get painted with the same Tarbrush.

Big shock there?

The Vancouver Critical Mass goes against the original intent IMO. I'm all for improving the city cycling experience but pissing off motorists is counterproductive.

From the Critical Mass site:

CM is intended to be a celebration, not an opportunity to cause trouble. Those who want to try to tie up traffic as much as possible and be confrontational with motorists are missing the point. We can assert our right to the road without being rude about it. Focus on the ride, not on the cars that also happen to be on the road.

I love it when mobs (who use their strength in numbers to inflict their will on others) are completely decimated by the bravery of one individual who has the balls and the violence of action to change the entire direction of the unfolding events.

Quite the little sociology experiment. Where can I sign up?

Since when does hitting bikers/pedestrians with a car equate to bravery? I assume you are joking. The fact that people are more than willing to swear, threaten and intimidate others while in their cars, but not in person, is the very essence of cowardice.

The fact that people are more than willing to swear, threaten and intimidate others while in their cars, but not in person, is the very essence of cowardice.

as is a mob attacking one person

I didn't defend the mob now, did I? I was merely commenting that applying "bravery" to this driver is completely laughable.

From the Critical Mass site:

CM is intended to be a celebration, not an opportunity to cause trouble. Those who want to try to tie up traffic as much as possible and be confrontational with motorists are missing the point. We can assert our right to the road without being rude about it. Focus on the ride, not on the cars that also happen to be on the road.

This sounds like a descent goal, but unfortunately a big gathering attracts all types of folks. A mix of jerk bikers and jerk drivers is only going to result in trouble.

This sounds like a descent goal, but unfortunately a big gathering attracts all types of folks. A mix of jerk bikers and jerk drivers is only going to result in trouble.

I bike in Seattle regularly and don't find the drivers to be "jerks" here at all. And this event certainly didn't pull in any "jerk drivers" showing up just for the event. It does, clearly, pull in quite a few cyclists who are complete jerks. And not just a "few".

I'm a cyclist, and I can't stand critical mass-holes.

"We're increasing awareness."

What - by breaking the law?

The best bike "awareness" I see is cyclists who keep up with traffic and show drivers that if they cycled they could go just as fast or faster on a bike, in any conditions, and look like you're having fun. Also, it is fun to flex for them and show them they can replace cellulite with finally chiseled muscles. ;)

I'm a cyclist, and I can't stand critical mass-holes.

"We're increasing awareness."

What - by breaking the law?

The best bike "awareness" I see is cyclists who keep up with traffic and show drivers that if they cycled they could go just as fast or faster on a bike, in any conditions, and look like you're having fun. Also, it is fun to flex for them and show them they can replace cellulite with finally chiseled muscles. ;)

You show off your internet-honed forearms at traffic lights?