gps info

benb

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a GPS hold out for years - wanting to rely solely on map & compass, and finally broke down and bought one. I bought the Garmin Map 60Csx, and purchased the card that has Oregon and Washington 1:24,000 map set. I love it! I have had it out on three trips so far and I have never had a problem getting a signal (from open mountainside, to pretty dense tree cover, to playing with it in my house). It is intuitive and easy to use. It's easy to set a route, and use the tracking feature. The display is good sized, and the maps are very easy to read.

I decided to try lithium batteries. So far it has been running for 35 hours on 2 lithium batteries (granted the weather has been pretty mild), so I am very happy with the battery life thus far. That said, I don't think the electronic compass or barometer are actually very useful (especially since I will always carry a standard compass, and have an altimeter that is also my watch), so you can save some money and get the 60CS. I just turn off the electronic compass to save battery life anyway.

I purchased it from an online company - GPSNow and saved $100 over retail. http://gpsnow.com/ They seem to have really good prices on numerous GPS units, and data cards, software, etc...