Thanks, all

grandpa

I want to thank all who participate here, and from whom I've learned (and bought from) enough to attempt the Camp Muir hike.

I took my son and two of his cousins up a couple of weeks back, and none of us had ever been "in the mountains" to this degree. I used to hike with dad in the Cascades of Oregon when I was about 15, but the kids I was hiking with had never been in the mountains.

It was a superb day, and we had an excellent time. We did not make it to the camp, I turned us around at around 8900' because clouds had been filling the valley for a couple of hours, and now were rising swiftly over the Nisqually just to our west, and we were not prepared to spend the night.

I think that had I not been reading the various posts on these forums, I would thought nothing of it and would have proceeded on. As it turned out, the clouds amounted to nothing, but I've seen (and read here) it turn out differently.

Next summer I'll do it again, and I can hardly wait. Two (at least) things I'll do differently: start out around 6:30 instead of 9:30, and not let the kids talk me into a large breakfast in the lodge.... three things, I'll also go with the expectation of overnighting up there.

Again, thanks all.

Grandpa Dave

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it worked out for you. I visited Paradise a few weeks ago... It's pretty goofy now with all the snow and construction. If you've never been to Sunrise -on the other side of the mountain- I recommend it. Spectacular views, and the day hike to Mt. Fremont Lookout from Sunrise area is not to be missed.

It is, and I REALLY need to retire so I can spend more time out there doing just this. I find myself now planning on another short trip this fall if I can find a block of good weather that coincides with time I can get away... It's addictive!

Dave

sounds great - did you bring a gps so you'd feel confident on descending in clouds if need be?

You bet. I had one and my son had one. This return in the fog bit is one of the first items I considered when making the initial plans. Also, I went up the eveningt before just high enough to get out of the clouds (was VERY foggy at Paradise) to see what it looked like going up and back down in the fog. Got a good perspective that way.

Truly, I can hardly wait to do it again, and again....

Dave

Yay! CC.com has a grandpa now!

Yeah, and too bad it took this many years to discover the mountain(s) and CC.

Nice call being on the conservative side of things. Live to fight another day!

Not only that, but it makes it much more intriguing. To succeed the first time would have been good enough, but not as good as trying again and again.

Grandpa Dave