• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Jarred_Jackman

Favorite 40+ mile hikes in WA/OR

I know this isn't a climbing question, but many hikers are sissies. So, I'm wanting to get out on a longer trail, Wonderland is snowed in as is Timberline. I'm fishing for advice here, this is what I would love, understanding I won't get it all:

decent trail, not a route finding nightmare

long enough to be out for a few days at 15-20 miles per day

BEAUTIFUL, great place, someplace you'd visit again

within a reasonable (few hours) drive of the Gorge

loop trail rather than out and back

Give me what you got regarding good options, and THANKS!

Personally, I'd just head to the Wallowas and string together a bunch of segments/loops. Plenty of options there.

Loowit Trail around St. Helens. 31 miles, about 5000 vert, with plenty of deep pumice sand. Bring extra socks because the pumice dust will wear holes in your first pair within 10 miles.

Not the most scenic terrain in the state, but some of the most unique.

Dscn1685.jpg

Dscn1686.jpg

I would agree with Norman. I was anticipating this year to be the one of many conquests of this nature. I've done several in the past, as have many other climbers here.

Look, I have often thought that yeah, we all climb here, but many of us also enjoy getting our asses kicked...hard. Sometimes you get that out on a long, drawn out alpine climb. Other times you get that circumventing what is usually that objective.

Hang in there. The time will come. Maybe in the fall! Just bring extra batteries for your headlamp! ;)

I forgot, there's always the Three Sisters loop. That's a fun one. And most of it is clear now.

I've posted this before, but here is some info on Volcano Running

Have fun! :brew:

It isnt really a hike but the Bowron lake Canoe circuit is phenomenal. 120 km's of amazing scenic lakes and rivers. Definitely a must do. Too bad its in Canada though....

Edited by marc_leclerc

I would highly recommend a loop up in the chiwawa river road area. one nice loop is to start at trinity, climb to buck peak pass, down and over suittale pass, up and over cloudy pass, past the lyman lakes, up over spider gap and down and out phelps creek and spider meadow... :) I took my dad on it over 3 days but if you are looking for a serious ass kicker it might be a winner...

Up Lake Chelan to Holden Village. you can take the trail to Lyman Lake area about 36 mile round trip and I think you can get over to Glacier Pk. but I haven't been that far.

I was just at Spider Meadow/Gap this weekend. Trail is melted out most of the way up to the Gap on either side.

It isnt really a hike but the Bowron lake Canoe circuit is phenomenal. 120 km's of amazing scenic lakes and rivers. Definitely a must do. Too bad its in Canada though....

agree. been around a few times. but its not a hike except for the portages.

for a hike 40+ basically just link up trails in the Oly Pen Park. I did a 75+ miler that way. I also liked following the old Press Expedition route through the center. If you're hardcore you can do that in a day.

The trail around Mt Hood is right around 40 miles. It was a very good trip for me when I did it.

You might look into the Skyline trail up in the Olympics. Not terribly high elevation (high point at 5k') so it shouldn't be too snowy. About 45 miles, IRRC.

Did it last year and it was very cool. Somewhat remote with bear sightings, a few places with stunning views, challenging in spots but not overly hard, etc etc etc.