[TR] Dorado Needle/Eldorado - Northwest ridge/Nort

skibum1087

Trip: Dorado Needle/Eldorado - Northwest ridge/Northeast face

Date: 7/22/2008

Trip Report:

My friend Todd and I spent a 3 day weekend exploring the Eldorado area. It was both of our first times up there and my only thoughts are that I have been hanging out in the wrong part of the cascades, the Cascade river road area is awesome. The first day we suffered hauling our oversized packs up to 7600 and dry camping at the base of the East Ridge. The views spectacular.

P1000100.JPG

P1000128.JPG

P1000120.JPG

We had a leisurely morning, setting off across the Inspiration glacier around ten o clock headed for the Dorado needle. After about an hour of walking towards the pass it came into view.

P1000137.JPG

After a few shenanigans crossing the moat, where I stood on a teetering ice block that rolled into the moat, firmly wedging itself between the walls allowing us passage onto the rock. The first pitch was fun face climbing leading to the ridge crest where suddenly you could see thousands of feet straight down into the marble creek cirque.

P1000143.JPG

P1000151.JPG

The climbing was easy, on solid rock, and constantly involved hands on the crest knife edge style moves. All too soon we were at the top.

P1000152.JPG

P1000485.JPG

We down led one pitch, then 2 rappels brought us back to the glaciers edge. We had originally planned on heading out to austera next, but mushy snow and the heat of the day had us reconsidering. We went up the Northeast face of Eldorado on the way back towards camp. It is nothing more than an easy step kick right now with only a few small nessecary step overs for opening crevasses.

P1000172.JPG

P1000174.JPG

The summit was great, we bootskied down the east ridge, and returned to camp for beef stick sandwhiches because we managed to run out of stove fuel on the very first morning.

P1000190.JPG

All in all it was an awesome trip. I found the dorado needle to be more interesting and enjoyable than other moderate alpine routes such as west ridge of prusik, the becky route on liberty bell and SEWS south arete, so I would highly reccomend it.

Gear Notes:

What we used: green alien, red alien, number 1 camelot, small set of nuts, and glacier gear. Running water was available 400 feet above the dry bivis, but I would not count on it remaining.

Approach Notes:

Eldorado creek, up up and up

Edited by skibum1087

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic