[TR] Inspiration - South Face 7/19/2008

tanstaafl

Trip: Inspiration - South Face

Date: 7/19/2008

Trip Report:

Rat and I climbed the South Face of Inspiration this weekend. Beautiful setting and a fun route. We realized after doing the entire approach that the SCA volunteer at the Marblemount Ranger Station had given us a permit for Torment Basin instead of Terror Basin. Oopsy. I guess that explains why she was asking if we were going to park at the Eldorado trailhead. Fortunately we were never accosted by anyone asking for our permit.

I forgot my ice ax but the glacier is mellow enough right now that a pointy stick worked just fine. We started from the very toe of the buttress which adds a pitch or so to the route as described in Beckey. The gash pitches are just way cool. We took only one rope and had no problem rapping right back to our packs.

Ran into tough guys Dylan and Chad on the summit doing the traverse. They were moving fast, no surprise.

No photos; my camera broke in Chile this winter but Rat took some pics on a disposable grocery store camera. Maybe he’ll scan them in and post them. Yeah, right.

Gear Notes:

aluminum crampons

pointy stick

one 60m rope

rack to 2.5 inches

Approach Notes:

steep

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange that you'd forget your ice ax but carry a pointy stick all the way from Seattle?

More importantly, where can I buy me one of them pointy sticks?

Nice work, tanstaafl and rat! Hope to see the pix (some rainy day???)

Point of clarity on the descent: Did you descend the west ridge and rap near the gully, or straight back down your route, or what?

We did four 30m raps down the west ridge and then down the south face from there. We added two slings for the last raps to get back to the toe of the buttress so that we didn't have to downclimb steepish snow above gaping crevasses in rock shoes. I didn't take my pointy stick up the route with me so I was chicken.

I'll be happy to make you a good deal on a pointy stick anytime, GB.

• 1 month later...