Recommendation on beginner climbs

Adam Watts

I've just started to do some minor climbs and my last one was Mt. Snoqualmie and I really loved the elevation and the views. Most of the time I hike alone as I don't really have anyone else that enjoys such activities. Since Mt. Snowqualmie is a walk-up style mountain and my knowledge is limited to climbing, are there similar mountains but taller that can be climbed with little climbing experience? I have plenty of gear like Ice axe, crampons, and Mountaineering boots so gear wont be the issue. :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive scrambled Sahale Mtn, Dragontail Peak, Mt Adams (although there is a raging fire there now) , Vesper Peak, Del Campo, and Mt. Buckner. All sweet non technical routes

+1

Add to them Mt. Forgotten, Pugh (both very easy), Mt. Daniel, Granite Mtn via ridge run and McClellan Butte (again, both very easy), Snowking (overnighter - sept), Hidden Lake Peaks (scramble to 2nd peak), Cashmere Mtn, several Tatoosh Peaks (e.g. pinnacle). Next June head down to Shasta, esp if you ski - a great, easy snow scramble on a 14-er.

Mt Danial 7900 ft tallest mountain in King County in the Alpine lakes area which has incredible views, Glacier rope travel, and a relatively safe climb, the one draw back is MOSQUITOS!!!! Ahhhhh, they drive me crazy, I have more than 50 bites through my clothes from a trip up there this last weekend ( past a few other climbers any cc.com folks) anyway aside from that it's a great beginners climb.

Hi all, great info here! I'm looking for a good pre-Baker climb that can be done in a day in the North Cascades. Are Sahale Arm, Colfax Peak or Tomyhoi Peak possible in a day? I'm guessing (correct me if I'm wrong please!) minimal crevasse concerns on these routes.

Mt Danial 7900 ft tallest mountain in King County in the Alpine lakes area which has incredible views, Glacier rope travel, and a relatively safe climb, the one draw back is MOSQUITOS!!!! Ahhhhh, they drive me crazy, I have more than 50 bites through my clothes from a trip up there this last weekend ( past a few other climbers any cc.com folks) anyway aside from that it's a great beginners climb.

You can climb Daniel w/o setting foot on a glacier. Also there are bivy sites up high, and they should be more bug-free (anyplace has less bugs than Peggy's Pond in July)

I've heard lots of people say there's no crevasse concerns on Sahale but when I did it there was a yawner that required crossing via a thinnish snow bridge or long trip around. I suppose still in the "minimal" range you're looking for though.

Any glacier and even some non-glacial creeping snowfields can have hidden crevasses. An old friend of mine with decades' experience at glacier travel once broke his leg skiing Mt. Ruth when he hit an unseen crevasse and I was on the Interglacier when someone fell in and could not be extricated even with a ten-person rescue team but still, in general, I think some of these relatively benign glaciers in the North Cascades, mid-season, are not overly hazardous.

Re: Mt Daniel ,I was thinking the Glacier travel would be a good thing, assuming he is going with a group and has some basic skills, also some of the Guide services have guided climbs of local mountains aside from Rainier.

Yes from squaw Lake past Peggy's pond has more mosquito's than anyplace I have ever been, even 30 years ago they were just as brutal. time always makes you forget how bad some trips can be.

I was out looking for the latest mosquito repellent and clothing yesterday and nothing has changed in 30 years either. nothing.