Serpent's Head on El Pico De Orizaba

unklehuck

So I'm trying to find some solid beta on climbing Serpent's Head (10 pitch WI 3) on El Pico de Orizaba. I've seen Secor's Mexico's Volcanoes 2nd ed published by the mountaineers...but it seems pretty vague to me, and internet searches come up, more or less, empty as well.

Also, any idea where to find good topos for Orizaba and environs in the US?

Many Thanks

UnkleHuck

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.metskers.com/

Metskers maps in Seattle is a good place to start. I got my map of Robson there a few years back...they have connections.

There's also a good shop in Denver by Schooter Joe's and the Funky Buddha, but I forget the name...or website...I say get a good map that hopefully doesn't lie and go with an open mind...maybe you'll find a new ice flow and climb a new route???

I recommend emailing Hector Ponce De Leon, I worked with him Orizaba and he speaks fluent english and is a nice guy. Also getting to the mountain is the true crux as it takes 3-4 hours in a 4X4 vehicle which will cost at least 70-100 dollars US. With Secor's book, the conditions are not reliable due to agressive changes with global warming.

Good luck!

Fully second the Hector recommendation. I have worked with him 9x there, he's solid, connected, and one of the funniest guys I know. No brainer to have him at least organize your trip and driver.

Lots of melting down there in the last few years, a heads up.