shell pants question

subrookie

New to the forum, long time scrambler looking to do some climbing this August. So, before I drop a couple C-notes on some pants, I wanted to know what kind of shell pants the guys here use. I'm going to climb Adams, St. Helens, and maybe Baker this August. I'm looking for some glisade pants, and I'm not sure whether to get the Cloudveil Men's Switchback or Rayzar, Marmot Stormlight, or anything you might suggest.

I have gaters and waterproof climbing boots, so I wasn't sure what pant/shells to get. Mostly climb in the summer/fall/spring. Suggestions?

Edited by subrookie

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got Cloudveil Zorros and I use them often for spring alpine climbs and backcountry skiing. Weigh next to nothing and I have absolutely no complaints about them. The breathability is wonderful with them. I'm never wet on the inside even during full exertion.

I have a pair of Patagonia Recon (I think thats them) snowpants, and then a pair of Helly Hanson rain pants. If it is going to be warmish and require snowpants, then either I don't wear anything underneath, or a very lightweight pair of long jons. Same with the rain pants, if it is going to be too warm for snowpants, I do a long jon/rainpant combo. I also ski, so as of now, I have not had to worry about glisading down anything. I feel that the snowpants could hold up to it, but possibly not the rainpants. But if I were going to glisade, I would bring a plastic-role-up sled and bomb down.

The snowpants have bad vents, way to small for any real air flow.

The Cloudveil Rayzor seems too heavy for NW summer climbing. I want to find something not insulated but waterproof, breathable. With the freezing level hovering around 10K in the summer or higher I don't want to be sweating in whatever I buy. So far I'll check out the Zorros or Guide Pants. Any others?

I'd go with the cheapest pair of pants available since you're going to rip them anyway (nothing worse than ripping a pair of $200+ pants the first time out - it will happen). I use Lowe Alpine Adrenalines or Marmot Precips which can commonly be found for $50-$75. They provide plenty of protection from the elements.. as much as you need for the NW (even in winter).

Softshell pants aren't waterproof, and wouldn't hold up well to lots of glissading. Work on your standing glissade and score points for mountain coolness :crazy:

FWIW I have Arc'teryx hardshells for when the weather gets pissy. Otherwise I'm in softshells most of the time.

Edited by Figger_Eight

Like Tom said, there's nothing that hurts more than a rip in a brand new pair of $200+ pants. I've put ice axe and crampon rips in my high $$$ pants the first few times out, now they're my 'beater' glisading pants. Too bad...

I now have a nice pair of Arc'teryx Theta AR bibs for inclement weather climbing/backcountry tele skiing. For merely summer glisading, I take the ripped pair.

It depends on how much $ you are willing to spend...and if you can stand a rip in them with out crying. For August climbing like Adams etc, I'd just get the cheaper pair.

Much appreciated. After spending bank on better boots, new crampons, and some new gaiters I just didn't want to spend more $ on pants. Most of my friends that climb, rather than scramble, seem to have pictures of them in regular hiking pants on top of (insert mountain name here). I'd rather spend my money on gas right now than 200 pants that will rip first trip.

You source is in used stuff for glisading. Check the places (Next Adventure, second ascent etc.) for decent stuff that will not break the bank if you rip them. I don't think I have a pair of snow pants, hiking pants, or Gaitors that do not have crampon hits/holes in them....

Comes with the sport...

Buy some skis/snowboard and forget about glisading... Just ride down.

even if you don't rip your pants, glissading takes out the waterproofing/resistance. I use marmot precips for most trips, and glissade on them because its fast and I'm lazy by nature (well, it's fun too). At around $100 (or less on sale), I will not be heart-broken if they rip. I've had them 3 years already and they are due for replacement.

For a day trip or quick overnight on a volcano in August, you probably do not need any special pants. Horror of all horrors, you could most likely get away with jeans if the weather was stable. You're getting good advice about not spending big $ if you are planning to glissade, though, and if the weather turns on you even the cheapest pair of pants that is actually made for mountaineering will probably serve you better than the jeans.

I've done almost all of my climbing (including winter) in a beat-up pair of old ex officio hiking pants I bought for $7 on sierratradingpost. If it's cold (i.e. winter) I wear a silk base-layer and some pataguci capilene underneath. I've always been plenty warm. In the summer, I wear nothing underneath and I'm cool. They're fairly water-resistent and stretchy.

I like the marmot precip, but I can't remember the last time I wore them, or any hard-shell. Maybe 1 year ago, in the rain in boston basin? I barely even bring them with me anymore.

Yeah probably not all that often I'll glisade down but the Adams climb I want to do this summer will have some opportunity for it. Generally, when the weather isn't great I have been scrambling in a pretty good jacket shell iand some old North Face hiking pants for sitting around on the summit. The pants don't provide any decent water repelency, so I'll likely go the Marmot precip or the cloudveil zorro pant route.

Maybe I'll pick up a splitboard over the next year or two and forget this glisade trick as I do more climbing. That or learn to tele. Thanks for all the help guys.

Edited by subrookie