Telemark Skiers

Fairweather

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone sounds a bit jealous.

Somebody sounds as if they may not know what they are talking about. Telemark gear is or can be heavier than some AT gear, and it is not as safe as AT, and if I were to learn to ski these days I doubt I'd bother with Telemark technique, ... but it definitely has its advantages when it comes to real backcountry skiing. Head over hill and dale for a day, climb over logs in the woods and cross creeks on stepping stones, and ski alpine descents that are anything less than truly extreme, and the Telemark guys have a real advantage. Telemark boots are more comfortable for hiking, too (something anybody with much Cascades skiiing experience has done more than a few times).

Telemark gear is or can be heavier than some AT gear, and it is not as safe as AT

Exactly :tup:

... but it definitely has its advantages when it comes to real backcountry skiing. Head over hill and dale for a day, climb over logs in the woods and cross creeks on stepping stones, and ski alpine descents that are anything less than truly extreme, and the Telemark guys have a real advantage.

This statement is totally wrong. :tdown:

Telemark boots are more comfortable for hiking, too (something anybody with much Cascades skiing experience has done more than a few times).

Yeah whatever. :crosseye: Now in the old days when tele folks were skiing in leather boots without full shanks I might agree, but it's been a long time since tele folks were skiing leather boots and three pin bindings. Today Tele boots are just crappy versions of AT boots.

Now if we go back in time to the 50s most people in the northwest were skiing AT setups. Slightly different, but you locked your heal to descend. How can I say this? Well I know a ton of local NW backcountry skiers from the old days. They've all told me about the way things were. Hell I never met him but I know people who skied with Dr. Spickard (you have heard of Mount Spickard) He and all of them were on AT.

It's only in modern times that tele got a boost. Where did it get it it's boost? A bunch of dirty hippies gave it the kick.

All I have to say is:

1) Take a shower

2) Get a haircut

3) Lock your heals on descent

Tele's cool :tup:

AT is cool :tup:

Downhill is cool :tup:

No. It’s black or white. You have to choose up sides. You’re for one side and against the others. You’re either for us or you’re against us. There’s no role for reason or ambiguity. Only crude personal attacks and anger determine what and who is acceptable. This is cc.com.

Tele's cool :tup:

AT is cool :tup:

Downhill is cool :tup:

No. It’s black or white. You have to choose up sides. You’re for one side and against the others. You’re either for us or you’re against us. There’s no role for reason or ambiguity. Only crude personal attacks and anger determine what and who is acceptable. This is cc.com.

stfu n00b