[TR] Mt. Buckner - North Face 7/12/2008

goatboy

Trip: Mt. Buckner - North Face

Date: 7/12/2008

Trip Report:

My wife told me she wanted to climb the Mt. Buckner for her birthday weekend. Sounded like a good idea to me -- I had done the route years ago in September conditions, and wanted to go back and attempt the NF Couloir this time. As it turned out, we climbed the standard NF route instead.

Day One -- Friday the 11th -- Got a late-ish start from Seattle, and enjoyed the long rolling terrain of the Sahale Arm which led us into camp before dark, only to find every established campsite taken by a party of 12 from a large climbing club. This sucked a little bit, but we threw down in the snow near running water and away from the crowds.

TeeWa on the Sahale Arm

TeeWa_on_trail_at_start.jpg

TeeWa_higher_on_Sahale_Arm.jpg

Our pee-lickin' camp buddy

Camp_Goat_profile.jpg

Our friends Sam and Joe rolled in LATE that night (around 1 AM!) after a 9 PM trailhead departure...impressive effort, given our 3:30 AM wakeup time!

Day Two -- Saturday July 12 -- Sam and Joe located us in the dawn hours and we ate, got packed up, and were crunching up firm snow towards Sahale (past the huge party of 12).

TeeWa_traversing_from_Sahale_to_Boston.jpg

TeeWa_steps_over_snow_arete.jpg

And soon, we were established on the ridge linking Sahale to the chosspile that is Boston Peak. There are several glorious bivy sites at the Boston-Sahale Col...and nice views along the way....

Joe_with_Forbidden.jpg

Nearing_Boston_Peak.jpg

The easy ledges that lead from the ridgecrest to the Boston Glacier....

4th_class_ledges_leading_to_Boston_Glacier.jpg

And finally we could see our objective! We also noted an appreciable schrund at the base of the NF Couloir....and a strange, green glowing orb near the summit???

Glacicer_Travel_towards_Buckner.jpg

Passing crevasses along the lovely and remote Boston Glacier

Passing_Crevasses_on_Boston_Glacier.jpg

We decided to climb what we could see rather than use up time and energy looking at the schrund on the Couloir (it might have gone, but the consensus was to climb what we could see would go)...And soon we were on the North Face proper, passing the schrund lower down via easy ramps and ice tunnels on climber's left...

Starting_up_the_North_Face.jpg

The small rock rack I had brought for the NF Couloir worked well for the rock walls and outcrops of the NF...

Rock_protection.jpg

There was a substantial trough carved into the NF by runoff and rockfall -- it was about 6-7 feet deep and 4-5 feet wide, with fairly steep walls....an interesting obstacle! TeeWa did a very nice job of leading through and across the trough, which we called "the funnel"...here she is entering into it:

TeeWa_leads_second_pitch.jpg

Here, Sam and Joe follow us up the route, with the Funnel off to their right...

Sam_and_Joe_climbing.jpg

Having passed the funnel, the easy neve slopes led up to steeper rock and ice above, along with some rockfall which went barrelling down "the funnel" intermittently....TeeWa tried to lead through that section, and ultimately thought better of it. Instead, we traversed off to climber's left through some easy (loose) rock gullies and ledges. Here she is seen following that traverse, as Joe belays Sam up...

Traverse_to_rock_gully.jpg

Above the rock bands (3rd/4th class) we were back on snow again, climbing a glorious snow arete leading to easy neve slopes above...

Snow_Arete.jpg

and topping out....

TeeWa_tops_out_on_Buckner.jpg

Soon, there was strange rejoicing at the summit!

Go_Blazers_.jpg

And the long descent/traverse of Horseshoe Basin and the Davenport Glacier, past the mine and down to cold running water....then back up the snowfinger and ridge seen leading back up to the Sahale Glacier camp....

Horseshoe_Basin.jpg

Where we found the relief for which we had been seeking all along...in the throne room of the mountain gods!

Throne_Room_of_the_Mountain_Gods.jpg

under the watchful eyes of the overseer...

the_Overseer.jpg

Sunday, July 13 -- hiked down the Sahale Arm, hesitated at Cascadian Farms, and headed home....

A great birthday weekend with great folks. Thanks!!!

Gear Notes:

2 ice screws, 1 piton (didn't use)

3 pickets (used a lot)

5 stoppers (used)

5 cams (used all)

2 ice tools

Approach Notes:

Sahale Arm mostly melted out. Boston Glacier very straightforward, as is the descent down the South side and the Davenport. Everything is in good condition...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't help but wonder why you were climbing Buckner with my wife? And how come I wasn't there with her? Well, maybe this weekend....

A job well-done nonetheless. Certainly liked seeing everybody representing the northwest's best (and only, sadly) b-ball franchise, as well as the first iteration of "making an axe of myself" in quite some time. Laughed at JTK's Beckey-era walking stick too...!

Good question -- sadly, it's just a digital artifact, not something I actually saw....kinda funky, though, huh?

I see that DPS climbed this route (from B-S Col) the same day -- or was it the next day?

I wonder if Dirty Harry and friends saw us descending from the summit around 2 PM on Saturday? Anyone snap any pix from afar? How were those bivy sites? They look outstanding...though I don't think I would've liked having to hump back up there after a long day on Buckner!

Good question -- sadly, it's just a digital artifact, not something I actually saw....kinda funky, though, huh?

I see that DPS climbed this route (from B-S Col) the same day -- or was it the next day?

I wonder if Dirty Harry and friends saw us descending from the summit around 2 PM on Saturday? Anyone snap any pix from afar? How were those bivy sites? They look outstanding...though I don't think I would've liked having to hump back up there after a long day on Buckner!

We climbed Buckner on Sunday, I suspect it was your party that DirtyHarry saw.

Hey there Team Schutte/Sofich -- Thanks!

The pound of extra Blazer garb was worth it for the looks on everyone's face when I pulled them out of the little black bag .... and for the summit shot alone! TeeWa may disagree....

I see it as essential gear, really....

:)

- GB

• 2 weeks later...

By mid-aug the schrund will likely be continuous across the lower face, but it's usually easily bypassed by crossing the rock rib and ascending snow to climber's left, rejoining the normal route a few hundred feet higher than normal...

I think it'll be doable for sure. Agree with Kyle about the melting out creating challenges overall regarding the appoach and descent.... much of the day is spent approaching the route and returning to camp, and as it melts out, that portion of the route will become looser and less pleasant, but still doable.

Post photos for comparative purposes if you go!