Tacoma Climbing Co-op. . .

Spence

I am looking to find a small group of committed climbers in the Tacoma area who would like to go in together on a private training facility. The idea is that everyone would pay an initial buy-in and then split costs such as rent and utilities evenly.

Rather than build a completely private home gym I though I would see if there is any interest in this concept. I'm thinking 4-6 committed people and no more than 10. Here is what I have as a starting point.

1500+ holds

Nicros H.I.T. Strips set

System training holds and tiles

Multiple Hang boards

rock rings

Campus rungs

75 Entre Prises hexagonal tiles (from the old gear shop in Gig Harbor)

6: Large home gym mats 5'x6'x 6" + additional padded flooring materials

Complete Custom Climbing Hold manufacturing capabilities and many existing molds.

Small selection of free weights.

Extensive library of climbing training resource materials.

I have years of professional wall building experience and access to quality lumber and ply-wood at very favorable prices. I am also a professional climbing hold shaper.

Send me a message if you are interested. I think this is one of the best ways to get strong with limited time and money to invest. The key is to have a good group of motivated people. I have been scouting locations but I am up for suggestions

-Ryan Spence

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very cool very cool... I'm in Tacoma, but I'm not very motivated. Been climbing 5.10 for about 12 years... just don't have the bug to get after 5.12.

would love to hear how it turns out.

I do have a killer garage for it-- 3 car with a loft.

Yeah it would be a bit of a drive from Seattle. I do remember driving to Seattle to hit the gym back in the day. If you Seattle guys get one going let me know and I would be happy to lend a hand. You could always move to T-town, The City of Destiny. Discover the magic ;)

I did forget to list Cousteau's weightbelt as an asset :)

Hayduke, if you get the bug let me know. We could definitely put that garage to good use. You would have to try not to climb 5.12

-Ryan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

dude, you are missing the fun at edgeworksclimbing.com! (tacoma gym) Why build your own gym? Organizing climbers is like herding cats. If you can't afford a membership, they need volunteer belayers. 6 hours a month = membership. I did that for 2 years before buying in to the monthlies.

I've met so many awesome partners there it's hard to even imagine I went 29 years before joining a rock gym. I walked in last Wednesday at 7 pm, hoping to do some leading. There were 3 pairs of partners leading, including the owner. I knew them all, had climbed with them all, and had a partner in 30 seconds.

Went in there a week ago to confirm my weekend plans. My partner bailed on me, found another one in under a minute. There is a big crowd of really nice people hanging out there. They take trips together to Smith and Vantage, more the merrier kind of thing, beginners welcome. Did I mention the good looking women? These girls are fit!

If I had to say something bad about edgeworks it's that it's not very high, but it doesn't really matter.

There is also spire rock out in Spanaway, it's free, and you can practice gear placements.

But good luck with your gym, sounds like fun.

Nothing against climbing at Edgeworks. Great gym with friendly staff and good route setting. Andy Davis is one of the best setters around, and I have worked with some of the best in the country. I enjoy climbing there. I even helped Edgeworks with there new training board that is in the works. And you are right about finding partners and having a good time. I like gyms in general and I have been designing and building them for over a decade. But RuMR is right nothing beats a woody for getting strong in a short amount of time. I have limited time and I can get a very efficient workout in my home gym in the least amount of time with the least amount of distractions. It is also easy to fine tune the setting to meet my training needs. I also shape holds for e-Grips and I need a place to test the latest goods.

I believe it is always a good Idea to utilize all local resources indoors and out. I teach climbing at the University of Puget Sound and have climbed at Spire more times than I can remember. I also climb in the Vertical World Gyms and at Stone Gardens. But one thing is for sure it's all just training for the real thing! See you around.

Club_House_1.jpgClub_House_2.jpgClub_House3.jpg

There is also spire rock out in Spanaway, it's free, and you can practice gear placements.

But good luck with your gym, sounds like fun.

Spire rock? That place is a pile of crap. Personally not a big fan of Pierce county, but ya Edgeworks is just as good as it gets down there.

• 3 years later...