Bad experiences on the yard sale?

Terminal_Gravity

I've used this forum to buy & sell several things. I think it's a great resource. Most of the deals have been without hitches, but I've had a few bad experiences.

Share yours so that we can all be better informed shoppers.

Recently, I sold Allison a canoe and promised to get it to pdx so she could pick it up. For several reasons I had trouble getting it there and I'm sure she's a bit pissed at me. I finnally got it there and ended up giving it to her for free because I felt so bad. I hope she forgives me.

But my worst experience was with this little fucker with the avatar name of "RED" from Yakima (I think) his real name is Brian Green. I paid the postage and sent him a pretty nice pair of older double boots. The verbal deal was $40 (cheap) plus postage if he liked them or he was to send me the boots back and give me the postage. This was back in December. After several months and several phone calls ( my dime) he gave some lame excuse and said he would send them back. Never happened. More phone calls and un-answered Pm's I finally told him off and said just send me $30 bucks and we would go away NOT friends. No check a month later! I called again and he said his mom sent me the check; Yeah right. One more promise from the piece of shit dick breath and I still don't have my boots or the $.

If anybody knows this turd tell him I might just shoot him in his sleep. A 9mm cap is alot less money than more phone calls.

Sorry, it's just that I can't take lying bastards.

Anybody have other stories to warn the un-wary??

[ 08-02-2002, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey bro that is downright low. Whoever the scum was owes up.

I think I remember you were going to buy some cams or something from me last summer. I never sold them to ya and ripped up the check for other reasons we verbally talked about.

I hope you get your cash or that he gets all his gear thrashed by a bear and snafflehounds next time he is out!

Yeah Caveman, the cam thing was totally cool. You were honest and upfront about it, things change, no big deal. I'd forgotten about it.

Mikeadam sold me a down jacket that got lost in the mail. (probably ended up on some gangbangers back - his suggestion). He was honest and forthright about it and offered to give me half the money back. Totally cool - shit happens - no big deal. He was honerable.

The truth is, I 've got more important things in life [big Drink] than to worry about $40 or some old pair of boots. It just chaps my hide that this sniviling shit lied.

My attitude is:

Break stupid laws, fight the larry the tool's of the world. Climb when, where and how you want to as long as you leave the outdoors as close as you can to how you found them. But DON'T cheat or steal from fellow climbers and give those who do no quarter!

quote:

Originally posted by Terminal Gravity:

My attitude is:

Break stupid laws, fight the larry the tool's of the world. Climb when, where and how you want to as long as you leave the outdoors as close as you can to how you found them. But DON'T cheat or steal from fellow climbers and give those who do no quarter!

Right on TG!!!

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

If you want to hear about a bad experience, I recently traveled through Enterprise Oregon, and found the local drinking establishment CLOSED! WTF? It was 10:30AM already!

WTF?! Freeclimb, you should have given me a heads-up. My offer of free beer to cc.sprayers is still good. [Cool]

quote:

My offer of free beer to cc.sprayers is still good.
[Cool]

Does this extend to mere wankers, or just the exalted lords of spray?

I've been in your place twice, and it's the shiznit. Stopped by one evening in March on our way to a wing ridge trip, and [big Drink][big Drink] almost didn't [big Drink] make it to the [big Drink] trailhead in the morning.... [big Drink][big Drink] Must be a great way for you to keep people off your favorite routes. Fortunately, I've been able to find your stuff in a couple of places here in p-town.

[Cool]

Aww, TG, that's nonsense, I'm not pissed at all? I mean you are charging me so much for the thing I really should be pissed, but hey, what's the point! [smile]

I just hope you don't get too pissed that I can't go get it til next week, now that it's in Porkland.

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

... Porkland.

[laf]

No worries A. The boat is safe & sound in my distributor's warehouse. Pick it up whenever you like.

Her name is Xanadu and will be one of the nicest and most responsive flatwater canoes around if you replace the mahogany gunnels and give her a new gel coat and don't over load her. Klikatat makes enthusiast boats.

I've never had a bad experience with the yard sale, including buying stuff from you, TG. And although I've had a couple of idiots screw up deals on e-bay, I''ve never lost any money on online deals.

But I would expect more from fellow climbers, I'd be way pissed if someone stiffed me on gear sold on this site.

[ 08-05-2002, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Juneriver ]

I did one deal and it went really smooth as well. It was someone in Colorado. An idea for this BB could be to incorporate a users rating so that if someone takes the money and runs, they will at least be blackballed from the site, similar to ebay but maybe less formal. Probably the best bet is to put something on ebay, then put the link here. That way you let ebay deal with all the legal mumbo jumbo and ratings.

quote:

But my worst experience was with this little fucker with the avatar name of "RED" from Yakima (I think) his real name is Brian Green.

TG word up ... sorry I missed you last week at the brewer's fest ....

Yoa .... Mr. "RED" or should we say "redneck" ... I, having been a Yakima resident for the better part of 20 years, take personal offense to you fucking up even more so for screwing with by friend, TG .... perhaps we should send Cavey and Lambone over for a "visit" to your mama's house ... [Mad] pay up bitch!!

I have had limited but good experiences with the yard sale .... bought a 40cm X-15 Hammer from Paul Detrich up in Ephata and swapped Mystic Nacho some older double boots for brew [big Drink] (yet to be consumed when ever I get my ass up to a "Greater Puget Sound CC.com Pub Club") I think it is a good thing .... really sucks when one person screws it up for the group

I bought a pair of Salomon Super Guide 9 boots from Climzalot. I think he got them cheap but the wrong size. He brought them down from B-ham for me to try on. They fit me perfectly. I gave him money. We were both happy. It took us a couple of weeks of email to set up a time to meet, but the face-to-face meeting adds a lot of confidence to the used-gear-buying process.

[ 08-05-2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: forrest_m ]

No I did!!!!! $100 US sweet deal. (and 35 dollars shipping...) I have already drilled 14 holes with it. [smile][smile] beats sucking up to Kevin Mclane to borrow his powerdrill.... hand drilling is for those without attention deficit disorder i find it hard to concentrate on one drillhole for that long.

I bought a pair of Cobra's from a guy in Wenatchee (pls indentify yourself, I lost your contact info) and we exchanged cashiers check for tools in person. I actually drove to 11worth to do the deal. That was a big $$ amount and neither of us was willing to risk it any other way. Business is business. I also bought crampons from Will S. and we trusted each other to send check by mail and send crampons. No worries there. Mostly though, the buyer should send the money and when the seller gets it, send the merchandise. Person to person obviously is best. You could also involve a third person to act as an escrow officer.

[ 08-06-2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: David Parker ]

quote:

Her name is Xanadu and will be one of the nicest and most responsive flatwater canoes around if you replace the mahogany gunnels and give her a new gel coat and don't over load her. Klikatat makes enthusiast boats.

I am so psyched! Sounds like she'll will be a great boat when I get her all fixed up!

To express my enthusiasm about the boat, I think I'll say this one thing: [rockband]

I had a great experience . I posted some cams for sale got a few bites , then I forgot about them . and months later somebody pm'ed me and they sold!

I have since updated all of my cams and I can still climb!

Anybody want a Kill Serratus Ice Pack?