Half dome in August

NoahT

Have any of you climbed the RNWF of Half Dome in August? I've talked to some who say its northerly aspect and elevation would probably make it bearable. They, of course, had not actually experienced it.

Any first or second-hand accounts?

Thanks!

N

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed it the last week of July and it was fine. Of course the weather in the Valley can be variable so you never know.

Also, I would add that although it is lower down the West Face of El Cap is in the shade most of the morning and if for some reason you get off your schedule it would be a great alternate climb with very little approach time. Overall it has better climbing and less crowd issues as well. I climbed it during a terrible heat wave at the end of September.

Edited by Peter_Puget

I did the Regular Route in August 2005, and can vouch for the 2pm'ish time frame for the sun hitting the wall. We made it to the chimneys by this time and the temps were very comfortable. Also, that year the spring at the base was still flowing. Finally, If you plan to bivy try to avoid hauling.