[TR] Mt Buckner - North Face 7/12/2008

DPS

Trip: Mt Buckner - North Face

Date: 7/12/2008

Trip Report:

Before I got sick I would have done this route car to car, but my new reality is that I am slow and have to take it easy, so we planned on a leisurely two day tour.

We took our time getting to Boston Basin and had a nice chat with a friendly ranger. Learned a bunch about the history of the park, the work he does, etc. Saw 15 people coming and going on the Quien Sabe glacier. Dropped over to the Boston and saw no one until we got back to Cascade Pass.

We camped on a level spot in the middle of the glacier. The next morning we walked to the face and climbed climber's left to avoid a series of cracks. About 2/3 height, we stopped a belayed a funky down climb into a strange deep, steep walled trough in the snow that went all the way to the rock. We climbed out the other side and made a belay. Another 1 1/2 pitch through a constriction in rock band was the crux: hard, dirty black ice. We simuled to the summit, screws and pickets were both useful.

The descent was down through horseshoe basin and up to Sahalee Arm, with a lunch break below the final climb. The arm was freakin gorgeous! We admired all kinds of alpine flowers and lush greenery.

The descent from Cascade Pass was enjoyable. In the parking lot a family from out of town struck up a conversation and asked me to name all the peaks in the view shed. I happily obliged and took photos of them in front of JBerg with their camera. Then they asked to take photos of me with their family!

All in all one of the best trips in recent memory.

Gear Notes:

50 meter rope, two tools, 4 pitons, 4 ice screws, 4 pickets. Everything was used. Could have used 6 med-large nuts.

Approach Notes:

Up through Boston Basin, over the gunsight notch climber's right of Sharkfin Col, cross Boston Glacier, descend Horseshoe Basin and Sahalee Arm. Chat up girl to get ride back to our car.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly amongst all that seemingly farflung and remote terrain, the minors' tools are a surprise find as you are exiting Horseshoe Basin onto steep rock beginning the hike up to Sahale Arm.

I missed that, must have been buried by snow still.

Except for several small snow patches, Sahale arm is melted out to the glacier. There is still a lot of snow on the glacier though, I would personally opt for boots, but that's just me.

The arm is incredibly beautiful right now. Enjoy!

We saw you guys descending the S Face on Saturday from our camp at Boston - Sahale Col. We climbed the N Face on Sunday, intending to ski it, but due to its funky nature decided to ski the S Face instead - which was awesome. We followed your route back up to the Arm, but had to go over the summit of Sahale to retrieve our shit from camp and then skiied down the arm.

Gear Notes:

Jim Beam Black

Tell me more about this Jim Bean Black! also, if you are a representative of Jim Bean, please identify yourself as such. i would like to talk to you about having your company sponsor cc.com.

Oh, and nice job to all. Someone should post some pics to spruce up these TRs.

Have another quesion. would there be running water at the high camp at the base of the glacier? Want to save weight on fuel. Have never been up there before.

We did the approach via Boston Basin. After rapelling onto the Boston Glacier we saw no running water until descending into Horseshoe Basin.