Climb Rainier in 4 Hrs! I have some questions....

Spencer

Ok Justins Merle's car to car climb of Rainier in 4 hrs 49 minutes is mind boggling and having been up the hill a few times I have to wonder.

Did he really run up all those slopes? non stop? when he was done did he do some other things? wash the car? run errands? how do you finish your day off after a climb like that?

Did he weigh himself before and after the climb? I lose a few pounds on a two day climb.

How do you prepare to run up Mount Rainier? I realize he was a very active guide, but running?

My buddy doesn't believe he did it, I have no doubt he did.

Edited by Spencer

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the fast Rainier time is certainly possible.

A number of years ago, I participated in an informal race from Paradise to Camp Muir with a couple of park rangers who were known as endurance athletes (Bundy Phillips and John Day III(?)). It seems to me that Bundy made it up to Muir - running in tennis shoes as we all were - in 1 hour and 4 minutes and John was only one minute behind. I came in later and we found another "competitor" wandering around exhausted and aimless on the Muir Snowfield when we returned to Paradise.

So, if the well-acclimatized Justin Merle could cut a time of even 1:20 to Muir and 2:20 to the summit and an hour to sprint down, why not?

Makes you wonder if there was some deeper slush ....cause damn it was warm this weekend. That makes it even more impressive. I bet this is gonna be like the race to climb the Nose fast. I wonder if a sub-2 hour time will eventually get recorded when some well honed kid hits it in tennis shoes in perfect conditions. Where's the Hubers?

If nothing else, it gives the guy with the dog someone else other then Chad Kellogg to rag on:-)

I don't doubt this one bit, he didn't seem like the type of guy who'd just make this up.

I didn't doubt Chad Kellogg either, everyone but the guy with the dog thinks CK is very honest as well.

I don't think I can even get to camp muir one way in 4 hours 49 minutes.

Well I'm positive I could still do it if one of these fellas would be kind enough to carry me on their back. :lmao:

I have seen many people run pass me over the years and almost always I end up to the top before they do, this guy has to be one of the best athletes in the country, and yet most don't even know of his feat.

But Tiger woods plays "the game" Golf and is voted Americas toughest athlete by Fox Sports.wtf : o

;

BWAAAAAAHAAAAA!

All traces of the person in question appear to have been removed from CC.com. Too bad, 'cause you could have wasted untold amounts of work time on the gibberish that went down.

OK, this is super secret code. Reverse the letters to find his name and Google naD ttiwoH.

I can see a speed climb of Mt. Rainier in less than 5 hours car to car---a few Russian elite climbers did it in 3 hours from the car to summit-----add a pair of skis and the descent would be really fast------that much slogging without skis would be a little slow.

My personal best time from car to summit via DC was 5 hours and 21 minutes with 5 episodes of puking due to the quick change in altitude.--- a time close to 5 hours for me was very condidtion dependent----I had a trail start and firm snow---any post goling would kill the time records. I have seen people in modest shape go from car to summit in 7 hours. Under 5 hours does seem a little fast.