backpacking crib?

genepires

My little 1 yr old boy has never slept outside of either his crib or a very heavy portable crib. He seems to really need a routine and I am not sure if he can sleep well without a crib. I want to go camping with him soon (car camping) but am concerned about the night. I was thinking there is a small collapsable crib with a foam pad bottom and plastic rods for the side posts with mesh all around. Something of a mid way crib to ween him off the crib and just sleep on pads. Anyone ever seen or have such a thing?

thanks

gene

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid stores (babys r us) and the like have them. we had one that was maby 10 lbs. My 2 cents is to buy a co sleeper a plastic box with one end open an a soft linner so thast you do not worry about rolling onto your baby and spend some time at home transiioning your son to sleep with you in it. much smaller lighter and will let you sleep with jr.

When I went car camping, we took the Pac-n-Play with us. Granted, we have a big tent that it fit inside plus room for mom and dad. Recently we took him on an overnight biking trip with a small lightweight tent and had the same worries. We just put him on a foam pad between us. He's never slept better - must have been all the fresh air.

My vote is the pack and play too, if you are talking about car camping. We borrowed a large 4-person tent, and there was plenty of room in there for all of us (a 12 month old, in our case). He is fine sleeping between us w/o, but the challenge is between the time we put him down (7PM) and when we go down (later!) - I am not sure what he would do...probably wander around the tent for a while then fall asleep in the corner! Probably OK, but not ideal. Pack and play provides much more certainty.

Oh, and to add: our guy sleeps way better outside, in the tent. First time was at about 6 weeks. We never worry about it effecting his routine since it always works so well (and he is quite a wacky sleeper!). Next step: longer canoe trips or multi-day hikes. Will wait till next year on that!

Gene,

Another vote for the Pack-n-Play for car camping. Somewhat heavy and bulky to transport, but it sets up/tears down lickety split, and can be drug out to the "kitchen area" of the camp during mealtime so you and the wifery can enjoy a beer without worrying about Jr. wandering off. Can be covered with mosquito netting if those little bloodsuckers become a problem.

We have the thing you're talking about, it's called the Peapod.

http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?p=4,5

It's light (maybe 3#?), not too compact, but works really well for any travel, as well as outdoors or the beach. It gives them their own little zone, you zip up the mesh "doors" and they are covered from bugs etc., won't roll out, and they like the enclosed feeling and tend to sleep well.

A friend of ours got it for us, I was initially a doubter, but it's worthy.