Another Rope Question

Jeff W

I finally came to the realization that when buying my first rope I needed to get one that was best suited for what I most planned to do; one rope won't fit all applications. With that in mind I bought a Beal Rando 8mm Dry Cover 30 meter dynamic twin rope. I will mostly carry it as a just-in-case rope when hiking to peaks throughout the state. For example, tomorrow I am hiking to the summit of Goat Peak near Bumping Lake. Never been there - may need a rope at some point. I also plan to use this rope for glacier travel. Did I buy the type of rope best suited for these applications? Can I rap with this rope if I encountered a situation where necessary? Thanks.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff -

For the use you describe, it sounds like you made a wise choice. It's perfectly adequate for rappelling, just limits you to fairly short rappels. About the only thing you need to stay aware of is you'll want to use it doubled when leading very high-angled (say steeper than 60') from an anchored belay...