atlanta and dallas

minx

:pagetop:averaging hmmmmm 100+ mph? No thanks. Last I checked there were other cars on the road. Speaking of which, Texas had the most fucked up on ramp and off ramp system I have ever seen! :pagetop:

Edited by Doug

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Atlanta for five years during grad school and immediately afterwords... there's lots to do within a couple hours, but you'll need a car:

In the city, you should see the Aquarium, one of the best in the world. The Zoo is just OK. Little Five Points is a cool area to catch a concert or eat some food. You could go for a run around Piedmont Park or on the trails past the Jimmy Carter Center. The Ferndale Science Museaum is really cool. You could catch a game at the Ted, if you like baseball.

While you're in the South, you definitely need to get some BBQ and some sweet tea. The best BBQ, and frankly the best food, I've ever had is at a place called Shuford's in Chattanooga, TN. It takes about 1:15 to drive there from Atlanta, but it is worth it. Best of all, it is located directly under Tennessee Wall, which is probably the best moderate trad climbing location in the country. Hundreds of 5.6-5.9 crack routes. All long, steep, with great protection.

Besides T-Wall, you could head to Sandrock, AL or Foster's Falls, TN for sportclimbing, both are less than two hours away.

There's also lots of great mountain biking just 45 minutes north of the city in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.

Oh yeah, Stone Mountain is a nice park, and the Calloway Gardens are amazing...

My several business trips over the next couple months: Salem, OR, Salmonberry River Basin - Oregon Coast Range, Cape Lookout State Park, Oregon; Denali State Park, AK; Boise and the Snake River Canyon.

Not so bad.