[TR] Squamish BC - Polaris 8/6/2008

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love borderline, climbed it for the second time on Saturday and that offwidth, thanks for the bolts (3)! I jammed it both times now im told if I want it to feel 10a I should lieback it..hahaha.

Wish you would have put a bolted station on top though, quite cramped quarters.

We did not expect people to make two pitches out of the off-width pitch. We put it up as one 55 m pitch, something for everyone to hate, off-width and slab. But I must confess the rope drag on the upper slab moves can be disconcerting when done as one pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

What Susan said on Borderline p5, minus a few meters. Use a very short draw (or even a single locking biner) on the 1st bolt of the OW, to reduce drag.

FYI, that particular OW would have been very hard to protect on trad gear. At the time I bolted it, the only commercially available gear it would take was a very shaky #4 Big Bro, which I used for aid as I drilled. I never found a placement I would have trusted in a fall.

Also -- is that big scary dead tree still there, halfway up pitch 5? That was the one trundle we never quite managed.

-Eric

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Epic route with great variety!

That little stub in the crack on the 4th pitch is now far from confidence inspiring, at least for me. I didn't even consider putting a sling on it. It doesn't look nearly as good as in your photo and I shuddered as I stood on it. Whoever made the comments: these guys did not bolt it into submission! I found the bolts to be quite judicious and commendable. I wish the first two pitches and particularly the second pitch weren't so moist but such is life at Squamish.