yosemite

Katherine

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BEAR WARNING. NO food in the car. Not even one night. Food goes in the provided bear boxes. NO food smells, this includes fruity perfume, like your shampoo scent gets on car headrests, they'll tear up headrests thinking there's food.

Black bears there very smart. Smell cookies factory sealed in bag, in trunk. Bust out side window by leaning on it or peel down door from top. Climb into car, rip out back seat to get to cookies. Then they teach their cubs to do the same.

There's always glass on the ground in the parking lots. At first I thought vandals. But it's animal vandals. You're sleeping in camp 4 late at night and you hear doooosssh. The sound of another car window breaking, another fool left food in his car.

Friend of mine accidentally left food in his 4x4 van. Bear peeled the door down, he had to drive 150 miles with no door, to the nearest junkyard.

After dark they'll come right up to your table while your eating to try to get food. We were there cooking and bear just walked right up and stood by the table, didn't even see him coming. Looked like he was thinking "hey where's the food?"

throw your dirty laundry on top of you food and pee on your car. i've had my van unattended for weeks on numerous occasions with food in it and never got broken into by a bear. guess i'm just lucky or maybe cause i was more liberal back then. g34.gif

In the backcountry, get a bear barrel. If you don't have a bear barrel (bad planning on your part), tossing a rope over a tree and hiking your gear up 25' won't work (trust me). Better to bury the entire food bag under a flat rock, pee all around the rock and put some Cayenne Peanuts on top as an offering.

The bear will show, start eating the nuts and immediately leave for a water source and not come back.

Remember this.

BEAR WARNING. NO food in the car. Not even one night. Food goes in the provided bear boxes. NO food smells, this includes fruity perfume, like your shampoo scent gets on car headrests, they'll tear up headrests thinking there's food.

Black bears there very smart. Smell cookies factory sealed in bag, in trunk. Bust out side window by leaning on it or peel down door from top. Climb into car, rip out back seat to get to cookies. Then they teach their cubs to do the same.

There's always glass on the ground in the parking lots. At first I thought vandals. But it's animal vandals. You're sleeping in camp 4 late at night and you hear doooosssh. The sound of another car window breaking, another fool left food in his car.

Friend of mine accidentally left food in his 4x4 van. Bear peeled the door down, he had to drive 150 miles with no door, to the nearest junkyard.

After dark they'll come right up to your table while your eating to try to get food. We were there cooking and bear just walked right up and stood by the table, didn't even see him coming. Looked like he was thinking "hey where's the food?"

That is ridiculous funny and so true. They come right up to you in Camp 4 while in your sleeping bag and sniff around.

:yoda: