another attempt on Mt Jefferson

pierceadams

Hi all, recently (6/28-7/01) my friend Brian Gibbs and I tried to climb Jefferson, but got turned back near the top of the Whitewater Glacier route cause we are noobs. Or maybe it was because of the huge rockfall we saw, or the fact that it was getting real warm on the east side of that mountain, but if I had more experience, I might have been there earlier in cooler conditions, but, to quote a good band called Ween, "what can you do?". Regardless it was still good trip, we came all the way up from the southwest, so we got some good climbing in at Smith in the gorge and around Bend.

To the two guys that told us to turn around at the trailhead, hope you liked the beers. Pabst "Light" is a new thing to me, but they are AWESOME! Ours melted out of the snow by the time we got back, but a couple were still cold.

I'll post some pics and actual route info in a few days when I have time.

Thanks for the beta leading up to the trip all!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you got a great attitude Pierce! It's always good to know when to back off, as it beats going too far when one should have turned around earlier. I was always lucky enough to be climbing with guys that had real good, smart heads, and the verbal skills to talk me out of doing stupid things that I realized later I would have regretted had I continued to have charged on like a Labrador after a ball.

Being "process" instead of "goal" oriented always gets ya better tuned into the present: a much safer proposition. The Mt will be there when you get back to her. Nothing better than getting out for a romp and getting back in one piece:-)

Regards

Bill

All we really have in the mountains to guide us in the end are our good instincts. Part of the challenge is having the discipline to know when to back of for sure. Trust your instincts and you'll have a better than even money chance to get your share of summits and live to be an old mountaineer with some cool memories.

A little luck doesn't hurt either...

d

hey all, thanks for the encouragement. To tell you the truth, I have been questioning if we should've pushed a bit further or not. It was only 7.30 and I am curious as to what time most people coming off the JPG end up descending. That shit was slushy though, I placed a three foot picket and shoved that thing all the way in with my palm. not too encouraging.

And yes JLag that was us at the Rack and Roll, green tacoma, red cab... a Christmas truck! seriously though, I need a new cab, one that is bigger and not uhh, red.

Cheers, yall!