[TR] Mt Adams - Mazama Glacier 7/5/2008

Greg R

Trip: Mt Adams - Mazama Glacier

Date: 7/5/2008

Trip Report:

We spoke with the ranger at Trout Lake. She discouraged us from using Rd 82 to Bird Lake Meadows. Said the road is gated. So we chose to start at Cold Springs (5600'). This turned out be some interesting route finding. If I was doing it again I would print out the map from google maps/terrain.

South Butte (7800') is 2 miles NNE of Cold Springs. We made our way there. Encountered some light rain up higher.

DSCF5487.jpg

This is the view N from South Butte. Gotchen Glacier is in the lower right. We travelled ENE to the Gotchen.

DSCF5535.jpg

We followed the Gotchen N to 30-40 degree snowfields which connect to the Mazama Glacier. DSCF5490.jpg

Finally reaching the Mazama, Lake at the bottom of glacier.

mazama_lake.jpg

Made camp on the Mazama at 8200'. There is running water to be found in the rocks there.

DSCF5495.jpg

Awoke to clear skies and climbed the Mazama to 10,000' where we crossed Suksdorf Ridge to get onto the Dog Route. (Could have stayed on the Mazama to about 10'500' in retrospect)

If you are considering this route please be aware of rockfall danger while traversing below Suksdorf ridge. I am sure this is not the easiest way to get on the Mazama. Enjoy. DSCF5503.jpgDSCF5506.jpgDSCF5509.jpgDSCF5511.jpg

Gear Notes:

glacier travel gear, 120 ft rope. crampons,helmets,ices axes. should have had some ice screws for crevasse rescue.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great TR, thanks for sharing. I did the Mazama in 06 and had a great time. Looks like there's more snow there this year. You took some great pictures. If you go again, try to do the Bird creek meadows approach, it's beautiful.

were planning on doing this in a couple weeks. hope we have as good weather as you did!!

so did you guys just go cross country? doesnt sound like you followed the round the mountain trail over to hellroaring. how was the approach you took? if bird creek is still gated, this is the way we'll attempt, looks like fun!

thanks for the post.