scrambles/ridge climbs around spokane?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting to see if anyone was gonna throw something at this because I'm not aware of anything that I'd personally consider a good scramble of 5th class ridge run within 50 miles. For that kinda stuff, I'd say that the Idaho Selkirks are about the closest thing. Hoodoo Mountain near Kettle Falls looked promising on its east or south side. We did it from the NE last year and found some stepped scrambling - kind of brushy in spots though. Of course all of that is further than 50 miles. Even though it's closer than the east side of the Cascades, by the time you throw in the drive time on some of those rough roads, you could have gone to the Teanaways or Leavenworth area. The up side is the lack of peoples. By the way, there's some goodish scrambling to be had in the Cabinets as well. Rock Peak has at least one good established route and several other possibilities. I personally like the looks of the north face and the east ridge. Haven't seen anything written about either one. The north face would probably be pretty fun this time of year. Anyhoo, that's my ramble :) Good luck and share if you you find anything closer.

thanks, that was more info than I thought I'd get. I've done plenty in Leavenworth and off of Washington Pass but I was just hoping for a quick one day trip somewhere close. I want to take a friend out that hasn't done much. I'll take a look at rock peak. Thanks again.

If you opt for the east ridge or north face, you can get to the TH below Rock Lake with a car. If you decide to do the west ridge scramble (a few unexposed 5.0ish moves but mostly class 3/4) and you head in via the Cliff Lake TH, expect a rough road and take high clearance though not necessarily 4WD. There's also an interesting looking route on the next Peak over (Elephant) that's a looong ridge run in the 5.6 range. I haven't done it yet but I have admired it from Rock Peak. It would be a brutal day-trip though. Take a look at the 4th class route on Snowshoe Peak too. It's excellent as a day-trip but again, brutally tiring....for us old peoples anyway. Have fun.