[TR] Mt. Rainier - Parade Route - Day Hike 7/8/200

zoroastr

Trip: Mt. Rainier - Parade Route - Day Hike

Date: 7/8/2008

Trip Report:

A sufficient amount of time had passed since I last hiked the DC route on Rainier that I'd forgotten what a trudge the thing can be.

With my regular climbing partner out of town, I phoned office mate Alex M., who I knew was afflicted with

a particularly acute case of that familiar noob malady, irrational volcano lust. I suggested the one-day push since, on balance, this entals

far less suffering than the conventional two-day nightmare. The latter option usually goes something like this: Start by loading half the REI inventory on

your back, lean forward to keep from falling backward under the weight, then bake for several hours in a torturous, summer afternoon slog up the

Muir Snowfield to your destination: a thin sheet of blue foam on which you'll spend a sleepless night of tachycardia while breathing solar toilet fumes--no thanks.

We arrived at an ugly hotel construction site oddly named "Paradise" at approximately 10:30 PM Sunday night and after sorting gear and prepping

light day packs, headed up for the first leg of the overnight trek. What follows are a few snaps taken during the pretty but longish hike. I also threw in

a couple of interesting shots from last season's trip.

Sunrise pinks the firn, with the tent town of Ingraham Flats visible in the distance far below...

rainier2-_029.jpg

Summiteers stretched out along the trail on the upper dome...

ra2-2.jpg

Morning has broken...

ra2-3.jpg

Some descesnders, with Little Tahoma...

ra2-4.jpg

Alex, about to enjoy his brief moment as Highest Dood in Washington, flanked by a couple of other distant volcanoes...

ra2-5.jpg

Tommy U., checking out a big crack on last year's hike.

ra2-6.jpg

The fixed lines on last season's extra-long route...

ra2-7.jpg

Well done, Max!

rainier2-_073.jpg

Gear Notes:

Small day packs and a short length of glacier floss.

We roped up for the interesting section, but carried for the upper dome, and descended the route off-rope, with the exception of the fixed lines which we clipped.

Approach Notes:

Route's in perfect shape. Get down early to avoid 'pon balling.

Edited by zoroastr

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days