Koflach + Skiing?

Maine-iac

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be done. I've done it a bit back awhile ago. Basically it's not very fun. Some would say it really sucks. Climbing boots and ski boots are quite different.

If I were approaching an ice climb in the winter then climbing boots might be better. In that case the focus of your trip is the climb. The reasons you want skis and climbing boots is they beat the hell out of postholing, and they're way better then snowshoes (stupid shoes).

This time of year step kicking to approach a climb should do you just fine.

I'm tempted to go into a rant about snowshoers using skin tracks, but I'll hold off till next winter. :battlecage:

Ditto.....

Make sure you have good health insurance, or your medical bills are what you're most likely to end up CHARGING.... ::skull::

If you have the $$, CHARGE a pair of Silvrettas; they are DESIGNED to tour and are much more efficient than the Freeride. I've had great experience with Invernos and a 505.

Edited by Coldfinger

I agree with what Kurt and paramagic have said. It can be done, but it basically sucks. There is not enough ankle support in Koflachs for carving serious turns. They would work just fine for more moderate slopes that you might encounter while doing an approach. For anything much over 25 degrees or so, get the proper gear or you'll just suffer through the "experience."

I have Verticals and Fritschis, and have done the ski descents from several volcano slog summits. But it was not by any means truly fun, nor at times was it very graceful (refer to my comment about yardsaling down from Hood's icy Pearly Gates in this thread).

I'm a cheap-ass muthufugger and so I won't go dropping a wad on true randonne gear since I don't enjoy it as much as ice climbing and such. I basically bought my Fischers and Fritschis so I could approach ice climbs, not for stylin' down cinder cone summits. I've got other gear specifically for tele, which is another story...

The conventional wisdom about skiing in mountaineering boots is not wrong, but it is conventional. If you have good skiing skills and are willing to adapt your technique and expectations, mountaineering boots can take you far. I've skied all over the Cascades in them. My current setup based on Dynafit gear can be seen in the middle photo on this page:

http://www.alpenglow.org/skiing/stampede-2007/index.html

lds-20070217-0027-lowell-on-blowout-mtn.jpg

I also have regular alpine touring (ski) boots, but when I want to go far, I use mountaineering boots.

Thanks for the input guys. I kind of figured that the skis would just be used for an approach and not any technical downhill runs; but its good to hear that it really is not fun skiing with them.

And I also agree that anything is better than snowshoes, and concur with Feck about the snowshoes on ski tracks, those ****s.

Lowell, nice page about the ski tour.

Definitely! I "hate it" when Lowell posts, because I end up spending hours reading everything and chasing all the links to "new history" (well, new to me at least) lessons. It's a great time-sink.

Now, back to work... :rolleyes:

Keep in mind Lowell's response may be slightly biased, as he has more mad skill than all of us combined!

A little analogy: I heard some event organizer doing charity rides with Lance Armstrong was telling folks, "Do not even think about trying to race him. He can, and will destroy you, pedaling with just one leg, on a kid's tricycle."

Edited by korup

I tried just using my Koflachs with randonee for Denali. After experimenting with it and trying to ski low-angle stuff (I even drilled holes in my skis to run a support rope from the front of my skis to behind my calves) I just boaught a pair of randonee boots. I find I can climb anything in randonee on the vlocanoe slogs and easily approach ice climbs. When I need a technical boot I will just carry the boot and pack lighter! Even if you are using the skis for approach it is still nice to be able to rip it up on the way out. Koflach used to make a mountaineering boot that had more ankle support or you could try to stiffen up your boot as well. I am sure there was a discussion thread on this regarding my trip to Denali back in 2003.....Search previous posts and see what others' ideas were.

My two cents....

From my perspective there are tradeoffs (obviously). I was using Koflach Verticals and they worked really well for the ascent. They also worked well traversing and even mild to moderate descent on corn or manageable snow.

Where they failed for me was descending steep, icy and other types of skiing where the ankle stability of a ski boot is critical. I tried early on to compensate by over-tightening the laces prior to skiing down, but it was never enough; I always felt like I could easily bust my ankle or knee with one wrong turn.

I switched to Garmont Mega Rides. I had skied other Rando boots, but always drifted back to these, so I finally bought a pair. They're great boots...and light too. The only drawback for me has been getting the perfect dailed in fit. For skiing, they're perfect. But I keep getting some shin-bang when I'm climbing, even after the second fit. Not super bad though. I don't blame the fitter or the boot, I think it just may be me.