backpacking recommendations

mythosgrl

Hey all,

I'm taking my dad and brother on a 3 day 2 night backpacking trip this summer and I'm not sure where to go. Here's what I'm looking for

-no longer than 8 miles per day

-not much elevation gain (my dad has bad knees)- we'd prefer to start high

-good views

-alpine meadows

I'd like to show them some pretty alpine lakes, but that is not mandatory. Any information/pics would be great! Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a while since I did it, but I remember Pete Lake to Spectacle Lake being pretty money. Pete Lake is a short hike, 4 miles in, and flat. You can spend the night there, then the next day go on to Spectacle Lake which I think is another 7 miles. On the third day the hike out would be 11 miles, but pretty easy. More info says the vertical gain is 1550 feet (in 18.5 miles, which isn't quite in agreement).

Some ideas:

(1) Do the PCT from Harts Pass to Rainy Pass: hard to beat this if you're avoiding a lot of elevation gain, but still want to ridge run in the Alpine.

(2) Go to Copper Ridge off Hannegan Pass. Normally this is a good loop trip, but that would involve dropping down to the Chilliwack river and up again. If you don't want to do that, just run the ridge out to the lookout and back.

(3) If you have a 4x4, go up to Twin Lakes off the Mt. Baker Highway, then camp out at High Pass and do a couple day trips from there (Larrabee, etc.)

Sounds like fun!