Injured climber airlifted off Mount Hood

mike1

Hope you're ok dude!

A man climbing on Mt. Hood fell approximately 100 feet on Sunday and was injured.

Mt. Hood

The accident happened around 10:30 a.m. near Devil's Kitchen at the 10,000 foot level of the mountain.

The man, who had not been identified but is in his 30's, was climbing with a large group when he fell and hit his head, said Jim Strovink with the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies with the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue team and the Reach and Treat Team were dispatched to the area.

Strovink said several members of the man’s climbing party were assisting him with his injuries at the scene.

Fortunately, one fellow climber was a doctor and another was a paramedic.

The climbers were able to keep him stable until he could be air lifted off the mountain by an Oregon National Guard blackhawk chopper.

The man was transported to Oregon Health and Sciences University Hospital to be treated for his injuries.

GOVERNMENT CAMP, Ore. -- A climber fell an estimated 100 feet and suffered a serious head injury Sunday morning in the Devil's Kitchen area of Mount Hood.

Clackamas County sheriff's deputies said the climber, a man in his 30s, is conscious and breathing.

The climber's party, which included a physician and a paramedic, were able to provide precise GPS coordinates to rescuers.

A UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter flew to the area, and rescue officials were able to successfully transport the victim to OHSU.

Deputies said the climber was from out of state. They were waiting to notify family before releasing his identity to media.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird day. I was up there booting my snowboard up to Hogsback. None of the decending climbers I ran into mentioned anything about an accident. I turned around at the near beginning of hogsback because the snow was just about perfect. That was around 12:30...

As I get back to the car, I see a circus going on at T-line, and some old man with BiNoculars was ranting and raving how he just watched some guy snowboard off the "summit" (Not quite guy, but almost.) and they had the lower parking lot coned off for the helicopter.

Good time to get the hell out of that place...

Weird, though, I did not see anything at hogsback...

I did, though see the two kids in Jeans and construction hard hats on the rock below crater rock trying to put on alpine boots and wondering how they where gonna get on their skis... Hey guys, thanks for kicking the bowling ball sized rock down at me. I love that kind of attention.

Edited by Frikadeller

I was there as well..didn't see you frikadeller but I ran into a lone skier at the summit around 830.. then about 10 or so at the hogsback I ran into a skier and split boarder who were debating whether to continue when a woman was whacked in the arm with a rock and came down ... then about 5 minutes later we heard "falling" and watched the guy go ass over teakettle for about 200 or so feet.

I called 911 and we talked to their friends ( all of them from the south and none of them prepared for the climb.. the guy i was talking to was in blue jeans with duct tape wrapped around their ankles. There wasn't much more we could do, so we headed down the mt for some long sweet glissades... and ran into the circus at the base.. I gave an interview to KGW ( yes.. I'm that good looking guy in the mazamas shirt ) and then we drove home for a few cold ones.

All in all a weird day on the hill.

Edited by pdxtodd

cute dog... and nope, I don't have pix of the guys in hard hats and duct tape gaitors either.

I had posted a pic of the guy laying on the side of the mt.. then deleted because I wouldn't want that pic of me up there either.

Suffice it to say, this probably won't be the last tourist sliding down the Mt the wrong way this year.

Doug d... I agree.. and it was uncommonly empathetic of me to do so... but maybe I'm growing in my old age.

I just spoke to the hurt climbers friends today and he's on his way home..and they're sending me a few "Mt Hood Body Surfing Team" bumper stickers.... keep an eye out for a turquoise jeep sporting them in your town soon :)

ok.. next mountain... adams in a week or so.