Rest in Peace Jesse Helms

Fairweather

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say nothing good of him either. That is why I say nothing of him.

Soooooo...shut the fuck up, already?

Why don't you try it. It is not I that dances on the graves of the dead.

I love how offering a negative opinion about a jackass who we are discussing merely because he happened to die and get press means we are "dancing on the graves of the dead"... :brew:

So just a question...when Castro dies can we offer negative opinions, or would that be dancing on Castro's grave and thus qualify us as horrible human beings? What about those who cheered the death of Saadam Hussein, including some of those decrying the rest of us for insulting the great Jesse Helms? I suppose we should have hung our heads in a moment of silence to mourn the passing of him as well, since, after all, he did really love his cat.

I can say nothing good of him either. That is why I say nothing of him.

Soooooo...shut the fuck up, already?

Why don't you try it. It is not I that dances on the graves of the dead.

CHEEERIST what a drama queen you are. The dead are common as dirt. Shit, they ARE dirt.

The only difference between a living asshole and a dead one is the word "was".

Being dead is one of the few things we can all do. It's no special accomplishment. You can get there just by sitting on your ass.

As with the thread about "supporting the troops", it's amazing how much crap that Americans are willing to swallow when it comes to all this windbaggery about "having the courage to stand up for what you believe in", "I don't agree with his views, but I respect the fact that he has an opinion", "he's a great man who fought hard for his beliefs", blah, blah, blah. What is this mealy-mouthed spineless bullshit called? What Helms believed in was White Supremacy, simple as that. Praise for this man at this point is simply a form of political correctness masking America's continuing incapability of dealing with its racist past and an unwillingness to deal with racism's current manifestations. Calling a spade a spade is not dancing on someone's grave. Get a grip.

Since the original post was in homage to ol' Jesse, I'd like to see Fairweather elobrate on exactly why we should respect this man as a "great american." Can you tell us, oh wise one, what exactly this "bigspending, racebaiting, gaybashing, misogynistic, ignorant, hypocritical piece of shit" (thanks Hugh, couldn't have said it better myself) should be praised for? My mind can't warp enough to tolerate a blatent racist, let alone cheerlead for one.

We've heard the reasons why Jesse sucks, now lets hear from his supporters. Quit attacking us and praise Jesse, I know you can do it.

When I was younger and in college, things seemed much simpler. I lived on a shoestring budget, maybe 10,000/yr and still had plenty $ for cold beer. I thought I saw objectively and I had conviction for beliefs in a kinder, gentler world. Now, I'm older and things, rather than become clearer, have become more difficult to shoehorn especially the legacy left by people. How do you judge someone? On the multitude of merits and dismerits and how do you weigh these? Or on a singularity of traits selectively grouped together?

For instance, consider former Supreme Court judge Hugo Black. Hugo was once a member of the Ku Klux Klan ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Black ). How do you judge him?

I'm no fan of Helms but I'm not so quick to condemn him. I don't have the omniscient eye of God to see all of his deeds and judge his soul (Not that any of you believe in that kind of thing).

Reality is an odd thing. Look at Saddam Hussein. From Fiat Justicia Ruat Caelum

Excerpt:

What was the offense for which Saddam Hussein was executed?

Most people in a position to answer that question -- those with an attention span superior to that of the typical goldfish -- would probably say that Saddam suffered the long drop to the end of the rope as punishment for his multifarious crimes against humanity.

That list would include waging aggressive war against Iran, the use of chemical weapons in that conflict and against his own subject population, or for other mass murders and acts of domestic terror.

The correct answer, as former prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi recalls, is that the formal charge for which Saddam was hanged was not the murder of millions or even thousands, but rather the execution -- following a proper trial, conducted under established law and settled standards of due process -- of 102 Shi'ite men from the village of Dujail.

Those men were convicted of plotting and carrying out an attempt on Saddam's life when he visited the Shi'ite village 35 miles north of Baghdad in July 1982. At the time of that assassination attempt, Saddam was a subcontractor for the world's most malevolent regimes -- the one infesting Washington, and the one afflicting Russia -- and so he was obviously capable of bestial behavior. Yet in dealing with the attempt on his life, Saddam behaved as if he were a legitimate head of state*.

Saddam let his security forces round up about 800 people and winnow from them the relative handful of people who had some direct connection to the attack. After a two-year inquiry, a 361-page indictment was compiled naming some 148 suspects. By that time, 46 of the suspects had died under torture at Abu Ghraib prison, a fate not unfamiliar to those imprisoned there under American rule following Iraq's "liberation." The remaining 102 were tried, convicted, and executed for the attempt on Saddam's life.

Interestingly, the attempt by Shi'ite radicals to murder Saddam came just months after the Syrian regime of fellow Ba'athist Hafez al-Assad dealt with an uprising organized by the Muslim Brotherhood (a beneficiary of U.S. aid since the early 1950s, as Robert Dreyfuss documents in his book Devil's Game) in a small town called Hama. Assad dealt with that rebellion by unleashing his military and pounding Hama into blood pudding massacring an estimated 10,000-25,000 people.

Saddam dealt with a much more personal threat in Dujail. Had he behaved as the prevailing caricature would suggest, that village would have been destroyed root and branch: The town itself would have been subject to Carthaginian destruction, and the extended families of its residents would have been liquidated. Instead, Saddam's government undertook to distinguish the guilty from the innocent and punished only those determined to have been complicit in the attempt on his life.

Again, I'm not taking sides, just pointing out that things aren't quite clearcut. So, back to Jesse Helms...

The last reference ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Helms ) in the Wiki for Jesse Helms lays out the rationale in somewhat sketch details for why some people see him as he might be remembered.

But, hey just for laughs, also check out reference #25!!

Gotta love Wiki. Looks like the content and references have been modified as of late 7/7. The link to reference #25 can be found here.. The last reference mentioned above can be found here.

Gotta love Wiki. Looks like the content and references have been modified as of late 7/7. The link to reference #25 can be found here.. The last reference mentioned above can be found here.

Don't worry sir, the ironically politically correct revisionist history police are on the scene. We can't have any grave-dancing, please move along.

I hope to see the same posts for Robert Byrd

Robert Byrd was a racist 50 years ago

Jesse Helms was one until the day he died.

and your frequent and ready use of racial epithets makes you one too, asshole

And I suppose he also fought desegregation and blocking any sort of civil rights legislation as a member of our government? Nice try...but unfortunately, you phael.

I hope to see the same posts for Robert Byrd

Robert Byrd was a racist 50 years ago

Jesse Helms was one until the day he died.

and your frequent and ready use of racial epithets makes you one too, asshole

And I suppose he also fought desegregation and blocking any sort of civil rights legislation as a member of our government? Nice try...but unfortunately, you phael.

go suck start a Glock