Ptarmigan Traverse - exit via Agnes Creek??

slamole

We are planning to do the Ptarmigan on the 3rd week of July and we're looking at exiting via Agnes Creek from Dome Peak, hiking out Agnes Creek to the High Bridge Guard Station (9 miles), and then up and over Cascade Pass (18 miles) to make it a loop.

Any beta on the descent to the Agnes Creek trail? Much appreciated.

Nate

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I recall we exited the Ptarmigan traverse by going to canyon lake via Ross Pass, totem pass, down the canyon lake trail to the miners ridge trail, (joining it just east of Image Lake) and hitting the Agnes Creek Trail at Suiattle Pass.

We chose to exit via Holden Village.

The section from Dome to Suiattle Pass was really spectacular

Hope this helps.

Oh boy, hard question. Ha. I just finished a week long trip skiing the ptarmigan. We exited via gunsight pass down to blue lake and its outlet to spruce creek, then to agnes and out high bridge (which was out). It was not the way to go although we got to enjoy epic bushwacking of monumental proportions, it really would behoove you to look up an earlier thread on the subject. My last post I believe was about this very same question. There was good advice in there about a way to go down to spruce and agnes creek (via a very different route than we did). It should be easy to find. Good luck. The way we went has fields of slide alder that tops any I've every had the pleasure to shake hands with.

Edited by AllYouCanEat

The way I spoke about puts you on the ridge above Spruce Creek and you are hiking in beautiful park lands on the ridge--very similar to the Sahale Arm--strolling.

Unfortunately and admittedly, you are going south for many extra miles as opposed to the direct eastern approach via Spruce Creek.

I recommend the route that Keith describes. Continue south to Image Lake and exit east to Holden Village. This variation adds about 50% to the length of the standard Cascade Pass to Downey Creek traverse. But it involves no brush. There's a story about skiing this route in 2000 here (including a map):

http://www.alpenglow.org/skiing/ptarmigan-2000/index.html

That certainly looked like a great route, Lowell. It was one of many I had in mind. In fact skiing back over cascade pass from stehieken would've been a cool addidion, but weather conspired to stop my jolly traverse and skiing. An escape down past blue lake, into that valley was very exciting nevertheless. Eventhough the schwacking was epic, I think better ways could be found and have been (the earlier thread mentioned a ridge above blue lake). I have no idea if anyone has been down the basin we climbed through. There was some cool falls and HUGE (a few 50-ft round more or less) trees there. A days pain didn't seem so bad a price to pay for 7 days in such a cool area. And skiing down to blue lake was so cool and as was heading into an unknown area for me.

One day I'll get to try that other route.

Edited by AllYouCanEat

It was good, but I'd hit it soon if you are going to ski it (like this week or next at the latest). The chikamin was broken up a fair bit. Snow went down to about 5500-ft, and in some places lower and others higher depending on aspect. The Dana made for a nice shortcut to dome if you skipped the righthand side that goes to Itswoot ridge. Mid-cascade, s cascade and Le Conte were very nice. The peaks could use more snow, cept for Hoch Joch's Spitz. That was a nice ski but s face spider was a bit thin.

More info, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BUMP.

Anyone else ever try going out this way? I'm considering it and want some input.

The idea is to climb Dome, out over Gunsight Col, descend Spruce Creek to Agnes Creek, hike up to High Bridge, and come all the way out to Cascade Pass....

Thoughts?

From Gunsight drop to saddle just above small lake at 6364' (bivy here or better camp below @ lake if needed). Traverse easterly along ridge system then leave it at the 6660' saddle dropping slightly as you go east until you pass below peaks at 6800' (east of small creeks); begin dropping directly to Spruce Creek into the dog hair to about 3170'; contour around to southeast for better Agnes Creek crossings... more or less.

Hey Mikester,

Thanks for the specifics about routefinding. I've actually been out this way before (en route to Stehekin) but my specific question here is how does this route fit in to the larger context of the Ptarmigan Traverse?

In other words, does this round-trip from Cascade Pass over Gunsight Col and back again via High Bridge make sense (for people who know the terrain) or is it absolutely nuts?

BUMP.

Anyone else ever try going out this way? I'm considering it and want some input.

The idea is to climb Dome, out over Gunsight Col, descend Spruce Creek to Agnes Creek, hike up to High Bridge, and come all the way out to Cascade Pass....

Thoughts?

Descending down off of Dome on the Chickamin this time of year could be teh suck. The angle right off the col is just steep enough that it is difficult to pick a way through the crevasses.

Besides that sounds like a cool trip.