Which stove?

mtn.climber

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my whisperlite since I was 10 or so, and it's been running strong ever since (like, 19 years). Other than regular cleanings, I've never had to repair or replace anything. I ended up replacing the fuel pump last fall, but not really out of neccessity....

My MSR stove gave out after several good years. Looking to buy replacement. Anybody have recommendations?

depends on what you are using it for, if you only plan on boiling water get a pocket rocket....weighs 3 oz. This plus a gas canister + an MSR Titan kettle weighs in at 1 lb.

2nd whisperlite for all-round versatility. If you just want a lightweight, the pocket rocket is good. If you are gonna do expecitions, you might want to look more towards the international models which can burn a large range of fuels (handy where white gas is scarce). For all around, the whisperlite cannot be beat. I have had that thing all over the world and it has never failed me.

I paid $10 for a brand new Svea at REI Seattle store (it was the only one) via mailorder about 40+ years ago for backpacking and it's still going good as well, in fact, I just packed it a half hour ago for my next trip.

Looks like you'll be able to fix it cheap! Schweet.

You gotta give thanks to MSR for designing products without planned obsolesence. Awesome that they have lots of repair parts available, not to mention that go forever with a little cleaning once in a while.

They don't put planned obsolesence in cause they break right from the get go! INSTANT obsolesence.

You gotta give thanks to MSR for designing products without planned obsolesence. Awesome that they have lots of repair parts available, not to mention that go forever with a little cleaning once in a while.

They don't put planned obsolesence in cause they break right from the get go! INSTANT obsolesence.

oh i dunno about that... i've had a whisperlite for over a decade and never had a problem with it. but then again, my buddy bought a simmerlite that we used in the bugs a couple years ago and i don't know if it was just his, but i really didn't like it at all. kept spraying the fuel everywhere when we tried to prime it...

Last season I finally got sick and tired of cleaning/repairing the damn Whisperlights, and the idiotic *plastic* fuel pump. Bought a Primus Gravity, which is smart enough to have metal parts, and a long connector hose to move the bomb away from the ignition source.

Recently had an MSR Reactor at Muir where it handily outpaced a Jetboil. Handled melting & boiling water for 5 over two days while only burning through 1 full and a bit of a second fuel can. Ridiculously fast cook up.

Granted weather was mighty fine, but I have a new favorite stove.

amen to that. I picked up a reactor and it's only good for one thing. and even better... it's so good at it I don't give a crap about anything else that it can't do! It boils water fast and that's it. If you need snow turned into boiling water in 7 minutes, get this stove. perfect for alpine assaults when you aren't needing to simmer your damn veggies or make pancakes with your girlfriend. you just boil water and get on with it. that's it.

that thing is ridiculous and I love it.