[TR] Mt Olympus - Blue Glacier 6/28/2008

benmurphy

Trip: Mt Olympus - Blue Glacier

Date: 6/28/2008

Trip Report:

Left trailhead at 9:30pm Friday night (June 27)...

preparation.JPG

Glacier Meadows by 9am...

glacier_meadows.JPG

Conditions were great...snow was a bit soft and got softer as the day progressed...never roped up or used crampons...

blue_glacier.JPG

looking_towards_summit.JPG

crevasse1.JPG

snow dome...

kickin_steps_up_snow_dome.JPG

view of summit (note tracks going straight up from snow dome)...we had to traverse around middle summit and up from behind...

view_of_summit.JPG

hit the summit about 2pm and re-energized...

re-energizing_on_summit.JPG

and the rappel...

rappel.JPG

looking up at "scramble" route after rappeling...

scramble_route_up_rocks.JPG

view of steep snow to gain summit rocks...

steep_snow_to_summit_rocks.JPG

back to car by 7:30am sunday morn where warm beer awaited!

Gear Notes:

rope for rappel from summit

Approach Notes:

lose trail periodically between elk lake and glacier meadows...

after snow dome, traverse under middle peak and go up from south side

Edited by benmurphy

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, man, weather was perfect and we only passed one other group as we were headed up snow dome area...and we saw a group of 2 on skis while we were on the summit.

I don't think I'd try starting again after a full day of work and travel out to the trailhead...i think we were hallucinating from tiredness on the hike out...that last 12 miles killed...

You could down lead the easy 5th class bit. It would take longer but then you could go with a 30m rope.

My partner and I took 2 30m 8mm ropes. They were light and did the trick - easy to split between two packs too.

I summited Mt Olympus on Monday June 30 with a group of 10 people from Vancouver.

I think we met the two skiers on their way down and asked them what the situation was higher up. We were actually very surprised that they went through the pain of carrying their skis for such a long way (before being able to use them :grin:) and we didn't see their tracks in the snow.

Our leader got from the rangers very dramatic information on the trail conditions but we didn't give up and we did go anyway. It is always good to check the conditions for yourself and make your own opinion.

The only sketchy spot was a scree slope right before getting to the Glacier Meadows campsite.

On the day we climbed Mt Olympus, we also saw the footprints going up the direct route but our leader decided to take us onto the indirect Crystal Pass route. It was a great call, since the bergshrund is impassible from the direct route.

Excellent trip with gorgeous weather.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silviabak/sets/72157605966676618/

Edited by bak74